Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cleaning out & Resetting Voice Mail

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dphone

IS-IT--Management
Jun 6, 2003
US
Every summer we have to reset the password, clean out the messages, remove the greetings and personal verification from all the Student Voice Mail boxes. Most of the time we just delete and recreate each Mailbox. This takes alot of time. We are a college with a couple thousand students. We are using Meridian Mail but hope to the getting CallPilot soon. We don't have AutoAdmin. Does anyone know of a faster way to do this?

even if your adding student names to voice mail, you can delete groups of mb and add them back with script files, using procomm, i use word and mail merge if i need names, but for using the same name 'new student' it would only require a simple script. if you are using procomm, let me know if you need a script for deleting and adding..

john poole
bellsouth business
columbia,sc

I'm not using students names. I use room numbers and building names. I am not currently using Procomm. I use HyperTerminal and Tera Term. But if you have a script in procomm that will delete and add back mb it would be worth getting Procomm. How do I go about getting the script?

Why don't you plan ahead on this and make it simple in the future, when you get the mailboxes rebuilt completely the way you want, do a tape backup, save that tape for next summer and restore when the kids are gone, then it only take a few minutes and you are right back where you want to be.

I don't think this would work because we have Staff and Faculty on the same Voice mail system as the students.

it seems to me that it would, because you can delete a range or a list.. if you know the dn's of the mails that you want to delete, it will delete just those.. ranges are quicker by a few minutes, but any list of 500 boxes can be outed and put back in, around an hour total with a script

john poole
bellsouth business
columbia,sc

Is it difficult to write a script using the F-keys?

no, i'll post one for you, just a short script that you can merge with a word doc, i wrote my first mermail script about a year ago, lost a mail, had to put 1800 mb's in, took about 4 hours, all with names and about 7 cos's, dept names.. had to run a seperate script to change 200 users to 3 different remote cos's.. without procomm the two of us would have been their all night plus.. i've never ran into any task that can't be automated with scripts, from the old rolms, simmons, nec's, if you can use a term, you can script it..

john poole
bellsouth business
columbia,sc

in tools you can delete and add multiple users at a time. I beleive it will do up to a 1000 at a time.

Our Meridian MAC product, PhoneMaster ( has a Meridian Mail administration module that allows you to schedule the bulk deletion and recreation of mailboxes. The programming takes takes seconds. You then attach it to a schdule to run at a time that suits you, say overnight. You come back and the jobs done! Originally we only allowed users delete single mailboxes, but based on a similar request from one of our university customers, we added the bulk delete facility.

Phonedoc, I couldn't find any where in tools to delete and add multiple users.

this is a script you can use to merge your user names and ext into, at the point that are marked just merge new names in and ext, you may need to modify it, the mb cos i use in this example is my 3rd choice, " transmit "^[[C" " this line is used for the right arrow key so adding or deleting those will allow you to pick the class you need.. btw, you'll need to start at the add screen, the 1st entry without ; is the dn

proc main
;transmit "^[OQ"

transmit "1962^M"
pause 1
transmit "New^I"

transmit "Student^I"

transmit "^I"

transmit "Unit 3^I"

transmit "^[[C"

transmit "^[[C"

transmit "^[[C"

transmit "^[[C"

transmit "^[[C"

transmit "^[OP"
endproc

again i have use this with merge and added 500 mb an hour, zero mistakes.. if you need modifications on that script, such as a second ext ect let me know

john poole
bellsouth business
columbia,sc

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back