Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cleaning Officejet G95 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

JimInKS

MIS
Jun 4, 2002
US
Any pointers on cleaning the internals of an officejet G95 would be appreciated. I had a black ink cart. discharge what appears to be just about it's complete contents into the printer. Had about a dinner plate size pool of ink under the printer and ink dripping from just about every orifice. Needless to say it is a big mess!

HP's only response is that the printer is out of warranty and can they send me new ink cartridge!

Patience, I beleive that printer is similar to a G85, it takes me about an hour to disassemble and clean a G85 when it hasn't had a leaky cartridge.

Yes, it's just a G85 with a Jetdirect box included.

I did disassemble it, which was not really all that bad, once you figure it out. then spent half a day, about 75 cotton swabs and the same number of paper towels cleaning. Took most of the plasic parts to a sink and washed them in mild detergent.

Still seems to be working fine, but I've never seen an ink cartridge do that before.

I am trying to clean the underside of the glass. I have gotten the two screws in the back off, but cannot remove the top. SO I don't have to reinvent the wheel - how can I get it opened and get to the underside of the glass?

Pry off the operator panel cover, there are two tabs that have to be released under it.

The tabs are at the far ends of the opening.

I have the same problem trying to clean the inside glass. I try to find the tabs you are talking about but, I did not find it. Can you be more specific? or can you send us an image?

I found the tabs, just at the far ends of the opening (as you correctly said). But it does not let you open so much the cover. I think there are two more tabs at the rear. Anyway, I cleaned the glass (my secretary do it for me because she has a thin wrist!) and now the printer works like new one. Thank you very much.

Thanks - works well. Extra hint: after removing the
button cover, buttons themselves come off easily too
making it easier to get to tabs. Push up on the
catch near the orange CANCEL button, then slide the
whole button assembly 1/4 inch left. It swivels up
and out - disconnect cable. Ensure power off first!
Also the two tabs must be pulled out/forward so they glass
assembly can be lifted up an inch or so to clean inside.

Followup question: is there any way to clean the CCD
or light source/path safely? Though glass is now clean,
I am still getting banding patterns down length of the
scan - particularly on DARK/BLACK areas, not white.
Something else I might clean to help with this?

Solution to BANDING problems. I solved the problem with banding by making sure to clean very carefully and thoroughly under the very rightmost edge of the glass - about 1/4 inch beyond what is visible when you are scanning a document. Perhaps this is where the "white strip reference" is located that is used to calibrate CCDs? Not sure this is the reason, but the results were excellent. By the way, I used a Q-Tip soaked in Windex taped to a long stick to reach all the way in without having to lift the front more than about an inch...so didn't have to mess with screws on the back, just two tabs on the front under the control panel. Hope it works well for you too. Scanner now seems to be working again just about like new!

Just a reminder to everyone..

I know that alcohol is a favorite when cleaning computer stuff, tape heads, etc. But remember to use the 99%, not the 70%! 70% alcohol = 30% water. Not cool.

Personally, I'm a big fan of LPS or Lexite PS (from ChemSearch).

--Greg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back