Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cleaning a desktop tips. 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Carlvic

MIS
Jun 15, 2017
AE
Hello,

I just want to get some tips on cleaning a desktop? I have a car vacuum cleaner can I use it?

And I want to clean my desktop because It was so dusty and before it runs smoothly but i move to new location it become so slow.
I don't know why.

Maybe cleaning up can help me?

First I thought you want to clean the top of your desk, but I realized you are talking about your desktop computer. :) Cleaning it with the vacuum would be nice, but that's only to improve the cooling of the CPU. And it will look better and make you feel good. But I would look at the defragmentation of your HD and check what's is using your CPU and memory the most (in Task Manager)

---- Andy

There is a great need for a sarcasm font.

I would start with looking for viruses, unwanted browser plug-ins, malware, and other software things that can slow it down. Doing a disk defrag is also a good idea. Remove Skype if you have it, it's a real resource drain.

As far as using a real vacuum cleaner to clear your machine, I would NOT. Some older computer fans use brushed motors, which means they actually become a small generator if you force them to move. If you put a vacuum cleaner on a computer fan it will spin and can generate a voltage that gets forced into the motherboard. Depending on the model, you can actually fry your computer by putting a vacuum on the fan.

A vacuum on the keyboard can pull off keys and springs.

You generally don't want to use a vacuum cleaner with strong suction. They make much smaller ones just for computers.

But, dust and dirt will not make it run slower unless it's overheating, or something like that.

Get a can of compressed air, or if you have an air compressor, that is ok too. (Or other "alcohol" based canned air cleaners). Use that to blow dust clear, then use your vacuum to clean up the dust that is dislodged. Also, make sure you use the right attachment to clean with so you don't damage what you touch, and careful around cables.

Best Regards,
Scott
MSc ISM, MIET, MASHRAE, CDCP, CDCS, CDCE, CTDC, CTIA, ATS

"Everything should be made as simple as possible, and no simpler."[hammer]

It's kind of funny... but there has been a many-years-long debate over "suck or blow" when it comes to cleaning computers.

Pros and cons:
A vacuum is great, but can (reportedly) cause a static buildup, suck off key caps, and so forth. While I've never had that experience (and I use a vacuum myself), I'm also careful with how I vacuum.

Compressed air works as well (and sometimes a combination of compressed air AND a vacuum will really get those heat sinks clean!), however it can push dust into connectors, blows dust back into the air (where it just settles on something else) and so forth.

One thing is for certain. Whether you vacuum or use compressed / canned air, do NOT "spin your fans". With the power off, keep fans from moving by holding them still while you blow or vacuum your computer. Why? Because fans can act like little generators, pushing power back into your motherboard if you "spin them up" by blowing or vacuuming them. Don't let your fans move while you clean.

Just my $.02

"What the captain doesn't realize is that we've secretly replaced his Dilithium Crystals with new Folger's Crystals."

--Greg

I have a car vacuum cleaner can I use it?"
Likely the worst thing you can use, compressed air from a air hose the second, due to static. Canned air is the safer, the least amount of static. Using the above mention ways you should at least attempt to dissipate static, ground yourself, hold vacuum near nozzle, same with a compressed air hose, while grounded. Canned air again ground yourself. Vacuum will create the highest static charge, can be far greater then >5000 volts, more then enough to fry a motherboard; worst thing you can do is touch components with the nozzle.
Safest cleaner is contact cleaner but some contact cleaners have solvents which are very aggressive, able to dissolve surfaces on computer boards, so you need to check the contents before using.

As far as fans spinning from compressed air, I have been spinning them for 39 years as a tech, never an issue but they will act as mini generators, so Greg has a good point.

Dirty keyboard, I use Lysol Tub and Tile spray, turn keyboard upside down and then spray it up, lay on paper towels for 30 minutes or dry with paper towel immediately; great for keyboard which are too disgusting to touch.

"Computers in the future may weigh no more than 1.5 tons."
Popular Mechanics, 1949

Air would only blow dust into connectors that aren't connected. If you're worried about that, cover them before cleaning. The compressed air method is far more effective than vacuums. Use the vacuum to clean up the big mess the compressed air removes.
Use devices like USB sticks to plug USBs, use dust caps made for ports, or simple masking tape, remove after clean.
Vacuums can't get dust out of large heat sinks.

Best Regards,
Scott

"Everything should be made as simple as possible, and no simpler."[hammer]

The main tip is to be very careful with the vacuum cleaner because it can cause some problems if you will hook some vital parts. You can also use dust remover. When I was cleaning my computer, I was using a vacuum cleaner, and dust remover and it worked perfectly. Here you can see what was inside of my desktop. I was shocked, to tell the truth.

Hi Carlvic,

Your first step of cleaning a dusty desktop should start with removing general dust from and around the system. For this, you could use a moist paper towel (even cotton buds to get into harder-to-reach areas), but one of the best ways you can try is a can of compressed air. And, ensure you avoid vacuum cleaners (it may damage the tiny components like capacitors).

Apart from cleaning the dust and dirt from your desktop, you can follow these tips in boosting your computer’s performance.
• Re-seat your CPU and GPU heat-sinks
• Check your hard drive using disk check-up (CHKDSK)
• Uninstall unnecessary programs, folders as well as junk files
• Use Windows def-rag (right-click on your hard drive and select Properties)
• Run a full antivirus scan
• Update your Windows and installed apps including the browser

If your computer runs slow even after above clean-up, then try reinstalling Windows.

If your computer runs slow even after above clean-up, then try reinstalling Windows.

Reinstalling windows is always the very last resort.
Reinstalling windows means that I have been beaten; that I can't understand what is wrong with my computer.
If your computer is running slowly, then start with the task manager. See what is eating CPU/RAM. Uninstall unused software, especially stuff that runs in the background. Use MSConfig to turn off services and startup items that you don't need running all the time. (Adobe speed launcher is a perfect example. It makes PDF's load a split second faster, but sits there idle in your system tray doing nothing but eating resources. Not worth it.)

Bottom line is, take the time to learn about your computer, and understand why it is running slowly, before just throwing up your hands and "starting over".

Just my $.02

"What the captain doesn't realize is that we've secretly replaced his Dilithium Crystals with new Folger's Crystals."

--Greg

lisacotton comment:
"I was shocked"

Is the computer normally on the floor. That tends to pick up more dust than one on a desk.

Had one for years that was on a desk where cats were groomed. Very forgiving of cat fur as it generally was full when the cover was removed. Pulled out by the handful. Dell GX1 for those familiar with the box.

Ed Fair
Give the wrong symptoms, get the wrong solutions.

A bent paper clip is great for removing hairs from the keyboard. You wouldn't believe how much hair drops in between the keys on a keyboard, even when you're always sitting 18" from the keyboard and 24" from the screen. It just magically appears in between the keys.

I've found that wherever you put your machine, even in a "clean room", it always gathers dust. Really does make you wonder, where does the dust in a "clean room" come from.

If you have dust in your clean room, you're doing it wrong.
Check your makeup air system...

Best Regards,
Scott

"I try to be nice, but sometimes my mouth doesn't cooperate.

I noticed a number of people suggested to defrag your hared drive. Thats a great idea if you have an actual Hard drive with spinning platters. If you have an SSD do NOT defrag. It won't help and it puts wear and tear on the memory chips.

Bill
Lead Application Developer
New York State, USA

How to clean a desktop computer without destroying it.
Inside premises procedure:
1) Attach your anti-static wrist strap.
2) Using a bulb-type dust blower, GENTLY puff the dust off the motherboard.
3) Disconnect ALL fan leads from the motherboard.
4) Remove the screws holding the CPU fan onto the air-cooled heat sink. Remove and sit the fan aside.
5) Using a wooden toothpick, pick out all of the bundles of dust/dirt so that the heat sink is free of obstructions. Let it fall on the mobo or case.
6) Use a q-tip and rubbing alcohol to evenly clean each fan blade or the bearings will wear faster. Sit the fan aside.
7) Remove all other fans and repeat #5 and #6
8) Using your hand, while still grounded to the PC, scoop up as much dust as possible from the bottom of the case.
9) Reinstall all fans. Yes, there is still some dust left in there, but this is all you need to remove.

The Outside premises procedure
1) Verify that all modules are seated fully.
2) Disconnect ALL fan leads to the motherboard.
3) Insert small wood dowels into all fan locations in a manner that will prevent the fans from spinning.
4) Look around, make sure no is watching you. Plug in your leaf blower. JK! Use a can of compressed air. Without touching anything, blow the dust out. Make sure to blow out the power supply too. Beware, a giant cloud of dust will come out.

Problems:
It's not likely but it is possible to force dust into the sockets holding the memory, or other devices, using this method.
Anything not secured to the case or seated on the motherboard may break or blow away.
Do not spin the fans. You will destroy the bearings and possibly create little generators. That's why you need to block them from spinning and why you should ALWAYS disconnect them from the motherboard or other source.

Never use a vacuum.

Thanks for the suggestions.

I change my HDD, Install new OS and upgrade the ram from 4 to 8 and still I have some issues with the speed of my system.
It really take hours just to boot.

Basically this happen when I move my Desktop to another place ( I just remove the cables, carry the desktop, insert the cables again). I'm thinking because of power surge? Not sure, because I usually turn off my system properly except I really need to pull out the power cable.

About the cleaning I just found out my desktop was so dirty.So I'm thinking this is one of the reasons.

Cleaning a Desktop. Before from my previous job, we vacuum everything fans, motherboard even cpu.
But after watching some comptia a+ courses I agree with Mikeee everything make sense.

TIP
Never let anyone spray a cleaning fluid on your devices even you think it was sealed or close.
It just happen one of colleague put a spray on the device and wipe it.

Make sure if you are using a some liquid pray. Spray it with the cloth first then start cleaning.

WhatsApp_Image_2019-06-02_at_4.05.10_PM_1_dsq68e.jpg

WhatsApp_Image_2019-06-02_at_4.05.10_PM_cekbaj.jpg

>Doing a disk defrag is also a good idea

Since W7, Windows has been doing automatic, scheduled defrags on attached HDDs. So, unless, this has been disabled, you shouldn't need to do it manually. And, as Beilstwh points out, you shouldn't bother on an SDD - it won't improve things, and it may decrease the working life of the drive.

> It really take hours just to boot.

Cleaning will not help you. You have some serious issues with your computer. I would look for professional help checking for malware, viruses, etc. Booting in safe mode may give you some clues as what's going on.

---- Andy

There is a great need for a sarcasm font.

I agree. "hours just to boot" is a sign of something much worse than some dust accumulation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back