Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Clean Install Remote Control 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

AnonGod

IS-IT--Management
Jun 5, 2000
OK, i've been pulling my hair out on this one.
Clean install of SMS2.0sp2 w/SQL7sp3 on a Windows 2000 Server. Discovering clients just fine, getting reports just fine. All looks well so far.
Remote control will not work on ANY machine, from ANY machine.
I can connect to the clients just fine, but cannot control anything. No ctl-alt-del, no mouse movements/clicks, and no keyboard. Just watch their desktop.
I have double-checked all the settings in SMS, and it all looks fine. I have tried connecting to SMS Admin Console from an NT and 2000 machine as well as the server. No luck.

At this point, the only thing I can think of is the 2000 server messing it up. SP2 should have made SMS fully compliant with 2000. We will be upgrading to sp3 soon, but need this running in sp2 before we move on.

Any thoughts, suggestions, or just plain ramblings are welcome. Thank You.
aliengry.gif

[TAG]
anongod@hotmail.com
"Drawing on my fine command of language, I said nothing."

What boxes do you have checked in the Remote Tools Client Agent settings?

When you "use Remote Tools", first it connects to the client in a smaller window (runs through the IP address and ports), then you get the Remote Tools window with the various buttons on the top row (Ping, Run Program, etc.) Are the buttons on the top row greyed out?

Does the client machine get prompted to allow remote control?

Does the client machine have the SMS Virtual Mouse Driver installed? Does the client machine have multiple drivers for the mouse?

Ramble on.....

Thank you for replying so quickly. Here's what I have for settings:

Remote Tools client Agent Properties:
Enable remote tools, Clients cannot change settings, Permitted viewers are "Administrators" only, Full level of remote access, do not ask for permission, Display a visual indicator as an icon on taskbar. Auto Select compression using TCP/IP, and Install accelerated screentransfer on clients with a list of unmodified Video drivers.

Hope that makes sence - just ran through the settings - anything i did not mention is left blank and unchecked.
As far as connecting to the client, I am connecting just fine, and I can see their desktop, but cannot control anything. I am able to ping, remote execute, reboot, etc.
The client does not get prompted in any way except to show the icon in the system tray that SMS is activited.

I am not familiar with how SMS controls the client with virtual keyboard and mouse and I'm going to study up on it today (Saturday :-(). How would I check for these on the client? How do I fix it?

And, just to throw another Q out there, are people using 2000 Server for an SMS server? Or are we still stuck on NT. I'm sure I'm not, but I don't want to be the first to break new ground here...
Thank You
aliengry.gif

[TAG]
anongod@hotmail.com

Why yes, I am using Windows 2000 for my SMS Servers. There is NO other way! :) The main consideration is that you must use at least SMS2 SP2 on Win 2000.

About the Mouse and Keyboard. If you've already done the research, then you probably already know about the SMS Virtual Mouse and Keyboard drivers. Just go to the client and make sure the SMS drivers have been loaded (check Device Mangler).

Usually, however, the SMS drivers will corrupt the user's regular drivers (especially the manufacturer drivers for three button mice! hehe). This doesn't sound like the same issue tho.

Well, after reading all the books I could get a hold of, and still not finding a suitable solution, I ended up re-installing the broken clients.
We have had SMS working off and on for the past year and a half, and I've only been here just under a year.
The admins that were here before me have made many changes to the server and clients before I started, and I thought a clean start would be the best.

All is well, at least with this issue.
Thank you very much!
aliengry.gif

[TAG]
anongod@hotmail.com

Im having problems with SMS server.When Windows 2000 systems log on they pick up the virtual keyboard and virtual mouce .... Does anyone know where i can find these drivers to stop the new hardware wizard loading up everytime i log onto my windows 2000 system ??????

My SMS site server runs on W2K Advanced Server SP1 with SQL Server 7.0 on the same box. I used installation instructions from SMS 2.0 Administrator's Companion and have not had problems accessing NT 4.0 Workstation or W2K Pro boxes with Remote Control. I'm not sure how to help you but Remote Control does work on W2K Servers.

Had this problem too. I had to disable Logitech mouse filter drivers and Logitech keyboard filter drivers on all of the clients that had this problem.

I think MickeySoft has an equivalient driver too.

Hi,

Ihave a similar problem. I am have the SMS2.0 client installe don my servers but sometimes can use the mouse and sometimes I cant. The keyboard works fine and I am just baffaled by this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back