Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Clean Install of XP 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

KenWright

Technical User
Mar 22, 2003
GB
With a machine currently running Win 98, how do I perform a clean install of Win XP Pro. Don't want to keep any settings whatsoever - Just blow it away and install XP from scratch. is there a step by step guide out there somewhere that I just can't find.

Cheers
Ken..............

Hi,

In very simple terms:

1. Create a boot floppy disk from Win98 (format a: /s from the command prompt) and copy FDISK.EXE onto it from C:\Windows\command.
2. Back up all data that you want to keep.
3. Boot PC up from floppy, then from a: prompt type fdisk <RETURN>
4. Use it to remove all secondary then primary partitions.
5. Remove floppy disk from drive.
6. Put XP CD-ROM in drive
7. Reboot PC and let XP setup run.

However I would make sure you have a list of the major components of the PC (video card, sound card, modem etc) as well as installation media for your applications to put back on afterwards.

John

Ken,

just stick the CD in the drive and restart your machine. On startup it should detect the CD and come up with the install options where you should be able to select the clean install.

If you choose NTFS file system, it will have to reformat your hard drive as WIN98 in FAT32. (I would recommend NTFS)
These options should be made clear in the install menus.

If you want to use FAT32, start up in DOS mode and in the c: directory type:

deltree *.*

this will delete everything on your drive so that XP can install cleanly. I think that XP wiped the drive anyway, but I did this anyway.

I've done this on FAT32 and NTFS and has worked for me.

Also, have a look at:

Don't feel limited to using NTFS only for hard drives bigger than 32GB. Mine is 20GB and works well.

Good luck,

Chris

Bigamy is having one wife too many.
Marraige is the same.
-Oscar Wilde

i have sony vaio, with XP home, through (Recovery CD's) now i bought XP Pro (upgrade), ho can i clean install of PRO....?

If i format the hard drive, and install Upgrade, during instalation it ask put the previous &quot;FULL&quot; any window version you have so Pro can check that you are eligible for this or not... while i have only XP Home on recovery CD's. Any idea frineds...?

Thanks Guys, very much appreciate your time:-

Cheers
Ken................

HappySmile,

I have yet to see a recovery CD that could serve as a qualifying version for Upgrade purposes.

Use the Recovery CD to recover Home, and then run the upgrade to Pro. Or see if you can return the Upgrade version of Pro for a Full retail version of Pro.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back