Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

clean & working RH7.3 install fails when add 2nd HDD 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

m1bzm

ISP
Mar 6, 2001
GB
Ok here goes :)

Ive got a server which used to run redhat 7.2 but it got mashed by a worm and now I cant login to it. It still boots but its riddled with problems after our little vistor so im going to rebuild it. Im going to use this rebuild as an opportunity to upgrade so Ive installed RH7.3 on a new disk.

My idea was to get the new OS up and running then add the second disk and copy the data over to the new disk until Ive got everything then take out the trojaned disk.

Heres the setup:
New 40Gb Disk RH 7.3- Primary Master
Original 8Gb Disk RH 7.2- Secondary Master

Ive setup the 7.3 OS and its working a treat but when I add the original disk onto the secondary master channel the system boots fine until almost the end and then a few services fail to start complaining that files cannot be found.

hda and hdc are present...

Is this a lilo.conf (which has been rename to lilo.conf.anaconda for some reason) issue or a partion issue or something?

Anyone got any ideas?

Unless you need it to be a dual boot system, you shouldn't have to boot the 7.2 drive. You should be able to access it like you would any other partition. Check /etc/fstab and see if it is set to automount.

yep you're absolutly right I dont want to boot from the drive, only read from it.

fstab doesnt seem to be on my system ???? dont tell me they've taken it out of 7.3 or maybe theres something strange going on here?

I think whats happening here is that linux is mounting the system partions from the second disk, if I do a df it shows me the following:

/dev/hdc8 etc....
/dev/hdc1 etc...

and its the same if I look in /proc/mounts, it lists partions on the second disk, thats really confusing because it boots up from grub on the primary master :#

is there any way I can tell the system to only mount partitions on the first disk?

Edit the /etc/fstab file so that it mounts from the actual partition instead of a label.

Good Luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back