Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

clauses and punctuation

Status
Not open for further replies.

netscamp

Technical User
Oct 3, 2003
US
Ok, I've got the code below working, but I need to add some data from other tables. The select statement can have multiple from clauses?
I can't find it in ACCESS help, and the book I ordered from Amazon is in the mail !

Private Sub Command13_Click()

Dim dbs As DAO.Database
Dim qdf As DAO.Querydef
Dim strSQL As String
Dim lkval As String
Dim jones As String
Dim james As String
james = Format(Now, "mdyyhss")
Set dbs = CurrentDb
lkval = PO_number.Value
jones = "po#_query" & "_" & lkval & "_" & james
----------------
strSQL = "SELECT * FROM po_table WHERE po_num = " & Chr(34) & lkval & Chr(34)

Set qdf = dbs.CreateQueryDef(jones, strSQL)

End Sub

If you want data from more than one table use a comma and add it in... eg SELECT * FROM po_table, a_table WHERE ...etc

What if you want to pick specific fields from specific tables ?

Ireally appreciate your time, and I'm going to contibute to the support of this service....

Thanks,
RjW

I'm getting a missing operator error from ACCESS when I run this. It's in the select statement.

Private Sub Command13_Click()
Dim dbs As DAO.Database
Dim qdf As DAO.Querydef
Dim strSQL As String
Dim lkval As String
Dim jones As String
Dim james As String
james = Format(Now, "mdyyhss")
Set dbs = CurrentDb
lkval = poPoNumTxt.Value
strSQL = "SELECT * FROM po_table WHERE poPonum = " & Chr(34) & lkval & Chr(34) & " transPatient, transDoctor FROM trans_table WHERE transPoNum = " & Chr(34) & lkval & Chr(34)
End Sub

I'm not too sure on this but I think first try this line:

strSQL = "SELECT po_table.*, trans_table.transPatient, trans_table.transDoctor FROM po_table, trans_table WHERE poPonum = " & Chr(34) & lkval & Chr(34) & "OR transPoNum = " & Chr(34) & lkval & Chr(34)"

If this doesn't work try entering all the po_table fields in the SELECT clause (make sure to have po_table attached to each one). Good luck

Ok, first, I would like to say, I've just spent $90 on an Access VBA book, and an SQL book! and I've been poring over them, and referring to them like a demon with a fever..., but I can't get this right. It's working somewhat, but I know the query should return 5 items, but it is returning 25. It's multiplying them, is that a cartesian product...? So some sort of join ? Union ?
Bless you all, genius saints....

Dim dbs As DAO.Database
Dim qdf As DAO.Querydef
Dim strSQL As String
Dim lkval As String
Dim jones As String
Dim james As String

james = Format(Now, "mdyyhms")
Set dbs = CurrentDb
lkval = transPoNumTxt.Value

strSQL = "SELECT trans_table.transPoNum, trans_table.transPatient, trans_table.transDoctor, po_table.PoDate"
strSQL = strSQL & " FROM trans_table, po_table"
strSQL = strSQL & " WHERE transPoNum = " & Chr(34) & lkval & Chr(34)
strSQL = strSQL & " AND poPoNum = transPoNum"

End Sub

Is the query returning 5 items of each item? Have you checked it isn't an underlying problem with the database? (I spent a whole day sweating over a simple program problem and ended up working out it was a data type in my tables that was causing the problem). Also check how many times the querydef is running.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back