Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Classlink Favorites Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

danp123

Technical User
May 24, 2003
GB
Hi,
Working at a school in england at the moment and i have a little problem.
Spec
Server is runnin on Win 2000 pro (network edition)
the seperate terminals are running on the same with something called viglen classlink running on them, this is the program with which they log onto the domain.
Somehow, and none will tell me, the kids who have literally no privilages are somehow installing games on the system via the favorites folder.
I would like to know how, we recently had a problem with them right clicking on the start menu which only has log off and start on it and clicking explore they then accessed the gateway and found their way into the viglen folder and were using the controlling program we closed this route off to the viglen folder which is the only one with progrmas in it but somehow they are still getting to the favorite folder. They cant execute exe's on their local N:\ but they seem to be executing them in the favorite folder without admin privilages.
The childeren have access to 2 folders on the U:/ whihc is the acess all drive these are used mainly for work swapping but still cant have exes executed in them.
So how are they accessing it and how do i stop them doing it the HD is only 100GB which soon disapears when they download halo and unreal tournament and start installing it on each machine!

so your saying that if they access the C:\ via making a new shortcut like i discoverd they have been and then ran autoexcec.bat they get another log in box? is that what you are getting at? or is this on another drive altogether
I will give it a check on monday

I think (if I remember correctly) the main job of the autoexec.bat script was to load S to Infinity (I’m not sure what Viglen have renamed that to, properly ClassLink Access Manager knowing them), clear the internet folders, temp folders and windows profiles. Now the script at my school does everything but delete the windows policies… I’m not sure why. And it’s not just my school. Hundreds of schools with the same system are having this problem, Viglen call it a glitch.

Now this is only theory but I no for a fact that the profiles should be deleted every time the workstation are turned on. Now we added icons and documents to the default account on the workstation, only to find them a week later still there. We personalized it, rebooted it and accessed windows logon (as I explained before 1 way of accessing it is overloading it virtual memory eg… opening 280 new word documents). It just seems like it don’t want to get deleted.

We as a student have not changed any settings, file or scripts to access windows logon. And we as students can only access that workstation system files, if they logon to the domain in this mode, they will have the same privileges to the server as a normal student e.g. they cannot delete logon.bat.

I have not tried out fixing this theory as my head of ICT does not want are help no more, nor do I have administrative privileges to try.

They is another way the students can load files onto C:\ is though word. If you create a hyperlink or just type into the web toolbar the destination you want to and windows explorer window will popup and you can copy files into them. This problem is caused by S to Infinity, read this article at This is also another Viglen glitch which they are looking into.

yeh we had found the c:| shortcut in word and in new shortcut, but i didnt know how they were getting some of the other privilages you were talking about, as i asked are you just accessing autoexec.bat on the local machine running it then getting a second logon or what?

We didn’t access autoexec.bat, it was only when we (the students) were trying to find out why we were able to do the stuff we were doing.

See having the profiles already there means that if windows loads up the wrong way it can just load up what it has already got. We don’t help this process by overloading it virtual memory from the last session (90% of getting into this mode) OR press the function keys during windows load up (40% - 30%).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back