Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Classification Banner for Windows XP desktop 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

molerrrr

Programmer
Jan 27, 2011
US
Hello... I am new to the forums and really need some help. Can anyone explain to me how to create a classification banner that will be displayed at the top of a WindowsXP desktop. I have been trying to find sample code, etc with no luck. Any guidance would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

What do you mean by "a classification banner"? Is it anything like one of these?

The Desktop picture can be edited by any Photo Editor to create whatever you wish to be displayed on the Desktop as background.

How to Make custom XP boot logo screen; easy!
thread779-1486497

How to make windows pop up a warning on boot up?
thread602-1621289

How to Display Operating System information on Windows XP Desktop

Sorry for not being detailed enough... I need to be able to specify SECRET, UNCLASSIFIED at the top of the Window. When someone opens Internet Explorer, etc....it should be opened underneath of the banner to always display at the top. Any ideas?

Thanks but I need something more on the lines of a wallpaper kind of deal.. I guess it would be similar to how the task bar is presented... I hope that makes sense.... Basically I need it to notify people when they are on a classified computer.... I can do the logon banner in the registry but I need something that will always display at the top.... I do appreciate your help with this...

I did suggest a customized Desktop background picture first up would that suffice, or is it a problem when other windows obscure the Desktop background?

If you want a narrow strip across the top of the Desktop, and if you wanted it to always be displayed at all times, then you would have to use a .jpg window, sized and positioned accordingly that loads at startup, and somehow set to be "always on top" of other windows. If you didn't want such a window to steal screen real estate from other windows then those other windows would also need to be permanently resized to a size so that any strip was always visible.

I think I would end up cheating and stick a strip of "dymo tape" across the actual plastic top of the Monitor of any such computer.

ha ha.. yeah... I am trying to get a banner that stays on top that regardless whether IE, Word or anything doesnt cover it... I can potion background wall papers but I do not know how to adjust all other windows to not cover it.... Any ideas how to "lower" any other windows on the desktop display?

Here is a silly idea but it might work.

1) Create a directory with your classification, eg restricted
2) Right click on the task bar, create New Toolbar
3) Navigate to the directory with your classification and click OK.

You now get the classification on your taskbar. Provided the user doesn't always autohide, and has it always on top, it will show the classification on the taskbar. The user can switch it off by unchecking it.

Isn't this more of a behavioral problem? Do people really care that a machine says "restricted" if they do what they want on it??

If people followed the rules and behaved themselves, a banner wouldn't be necessary.

It's sort of like speed limit signs. Everybody sees them, but not everyone bothers to conform.

sorry, but i can't believe what i just read from the OP!
after working in secure areas for some time it is hard to believe the intent and control (or lack thereof) of computer resources in the manner suggested.

after talking to others it seems that I need to create an image...which I can do, and somehow position it to the top of the desktop. After any window is opened in full view needs to be positioned under the image.

ok....I think I am going to have to go another direction.... Sincewi I am able to make a banner background...Is it possible to set the height size of a window when it is maximum size. What I want to do is set the banner at the top and then set the window size to not raise higher then the image. Is this possible?

Hi,
Why not just put a sign on top of the monitor!

[profile]

To Paraphrase:"The Help you get is proportional to the Help you give.."

I agree with eyec:

"it is hard to believe the intent and control (or lack thereof) of computer resources in the manner suggested."

Your ideas and any mentioned so far is NOT a solution, it's a CYA and an "At least I did something" attempt.

Since I'm former military with a secret clearance I find this approach to marking the desktop screen in this manner as a exercise in futility. I'm not sure I understand what it is supposed to accomplish. How about setting some group policies instead?

Jim

I think Turkbear gave to only real answer to the problem "Stick a sign or label on the Monitor".

However I have to agree with the other replies to the question, I can't see how this will affect the users actions. In fact it might just have the opposite effect. Think about a "Wet Paint" sign, someone always has to touch the paint, "just to check"!

Steve

All... I appreciate all of your input..unfortunately the instruction I have been given is a requirement to have the banner on the monitor... Sticking a sign on the computer is no good because it can be removed... If I can find a solution through registry settings etc then I can do a group policy and push the setting to all systems. I do agree that is does not "stop" anyone from accessing but it does cover the legality portion of labeling for Informatrion assurance requirements.

Linney... Thank you for all of the ideas... I am researching the latest now to see if it will do it... Your efforts are appreciated.

If you told your superiors, "a banner can be ignored just like a a sign can be removed", would they have an intelligent come-back?? I think not - at least not one based on rational thought process.

Your bosses/supervisors are not very smart if they are telling you that a banner is "sufficient and required" and leave the rest to chance. Comical.

Print out these responses as a CYA for YOU. You might get scape-goated if bad things happen and the brilliant "behavior-modifying banner" solution doesn't work.

The testy responses you are getting are not directed at you, but at the dumb idea that you have been given to implement. I feel sorry for you.

And if the one who gave the assignment is not part of security management, suggest someone speak with the real security people and get proper direction in writing as to what is and is not permitted to be done.

Showing such a banner may even be considered a security problem. . .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back