Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Classic Public Blunders

Status
Not open for further replies.

BJCooperIT

Programmer
May 30, 2002
US
I went to my local grocery store and saw the following sign:
Bananas, the prefect snack food!
The irony of which word was mispelled was not lost on me. Have you other examples of a mistake that is a real classic?

[sup]Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance.[/sup][sup] ~George Bernard Shaw[/sup]
Systems Project Analyst/Custom Forms & PL/SQL - Oracle/Windows

It seems now, a "cool" name for a store/restaurant must be misspelled. All this "Krispy Kreme", and plenty of others."

I been told that you can't copyright/trademark English words. So the 'correct' spelling of "Crispy Cream" wouldn't pass muster.

mike

madelca100
I guess, you misunderstood something here. You, probably, can't copyright a word, but a name using correct spelling of those words you sure can. Are you saying that all correctly spelled trademarks are illegal? Like "Banana Republic", "Strawberry", "Amazing Savings", you name it.

At the weekend I discovered a shop called Collectors Bizzare, I couldn't decide if they were just trying to be ironic about their clientele (particularly after having a look round).

Was the store selling bananas aiming for snob appeal or was it near a private school?

Misspelling seems to work well as a promotional tool too. Makes you remember what you saw.

i took this from a book:

An advertisement for trips on donkeys:

"Ride on ur own a**"

(Note: i know bad content is banned, but i thought i could share it)...

Known is handfull, Unknown is worldfull

Silkscreened on the gas pumps at a comercial fueling station:

"Service is are best product

There's a sign on a "busy" street in Kailua-Kona, Hawaii with a sign that says: "Stop for pedestrians when flashing." I really wanted to wait to see pedestrian flashers...

Just a salute to D-Day but I remember an headline from those days:

'British Army thrust bottles up Germans' (there should be a comma in there somewhere)

So much for the Geneva Convention.

Similarly, a newspaper headline from the 80s:

"British Left Waffles On Falkland Islands"

Did they also leave maple syrup and butter?

De mortuis nihil nisi bonum.

Status
Not open for further replies.