Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Class Manager

Status
Not open for further replies.

gntech

MIS
Aug 24, 2003
US
We have a client that teaches Gymnastics. They use Class Manager from Atlantic Associates to manage their class scedules and finances. Her computer (Dell Dimension 2400 w/XP Pro) works perfectly, but they said the computer freezes and the mouse goes hay-wire(pointer starts jumping around and if you left click anything it right clicks instead). We have tried to replicate this problem but to no avail. With all of the discriptions of the problems and the testing we have done it seems to point to this program. I have search everywhere I could to see if this program has had any similar effects of other computers. I am just wondering if anyone has seen anything like this with this.

1. This freezing and mouse movement are not unusual if there is some malware introduced in the system. This is not something a virus scan will detect, see faq608-4650

2. Any mouse issue requires the question: is it a wireless mouse, and are your batteries new?

3. Any computer freeze begs the issue of whether their display adapter driver is up-to-date. Honestly, this can happen with a Microsoft Update service driver. I would refresh the display adapter driver from the manufacturer.

4. RAM dies. I would also do a memory test:
Either of these:

We have also considered these problems. We tested the memory and it checked out fine. The mouse isn't wireless but the connection was good. While we were down there we did ad-aware scans and other mail-ware scans only to find nothing. We checked the video driver and there were no errors, So then we proceeded to see if we could replicate any of the problems they were having. We opened every program we could and started every process we could think of. Although the computer was a little bit slower it ran fine and no problems or errors occurred. personally it is a bit difficult to fix a problem you can't find, at least with the standard tools and even some of the more speacialized programs. Thank you for your help, if you can think of anything more please let us know :)

If it is a PS/2 mouse, and they have a USB port, replace the mouse with an USB version.

The PS/2 connection to the motherboard is an often intermittent source of failure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back