Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Class does not support automation or does not support expected interf

Status
Not open for further replies.

elibb

Programmer
Oct 22, 2001
MX
Hi.. i have a vb 6.0 databse application, i built in in win xp.. and i want to install it in a computer with win98, i made an installer using InstallShield, and i installed DCOM98 on the computer, so it would run fine, but when i install it, and run it, when i want to connect to the database (via an ODBC) i get this runtime error:

Error 430
Class does not support automation or does not support expected interface

i tried to make the installer again, using the package deployment that comes vb, but it didnt work, i also tried not to use an ODBC, but use directly the path to the database (an access database)

i installed the program on the server, with win 2000 and it worked very well... so i think it has something to do with win 98..

does anybody know how to fix it?? my client is getting desperate!!!

thank you very much

Eli

there are some windows dll s which register exclusively on win98 platform whose corresponding are ones are available for win xp/2000 server. either dll are not compatible with the other. so i suppose a solution will be that you take your project to a win98 platform and compile it there. this will ensure that the required system dll would be chosen as required. now you will have two different installers one for win98 platform and other for 2000 server/xp. see if this solves the problem

Since the issue is specific for Win98, and the installation required is for Win98 (specifically), i will suggest take the app to Win98 and create the setup there.

All the Best Praveen Menon
pcmin@rediffmail.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back