Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Clarisworks/Appleworks on PC

Status
Not open for further replies.

ledfobr

Instructor
Feb 5, 2003
US
I created spreadsheets using ClarisWorks on my Mac (G3) and saved them as bin files on my host server (Earthlink)as backups. My Mac died and all efforts to retrieve files from the computer failed (to include professional services). All I have now are the bin files on the server. I can download them to my new system (a PC using Windows XP Pro)using ftp. The files will open but the numerical data will not display--just symbols. I need the data for income tax purposes. Any suggestions on how to retrieve the data? It does not have to be editable--the main thing I need is the data.

1. try to get a software emulator for Mac OS8 on a PC.

If this works, you'll need your copy of MS Office (or Excel) for running on top of this. Once the data is extracted out of the .bin format, transfer the spreadsheet data through MS Excel from Mac to PC, or save the spreadsheet data in the PC format, or create an export file, or (you get the idea, lots of options at this point...)

It's at least worth a try.

2. Second option is to try using Filemaker Pro to essentially do the same thing, since your original Excel data is probably tab- or comma-delimited data.

Hope you get your data,

threedots

I would like to know where (or even if)I can purchase AppleWorks for a Windows machine. I am leaving my older windows machine with ClarisWorks version 5 on it. I do not have the installation disk any more. Can I get Appleworks for Windows XP? I'd hate to abandon all my AppleWorks files, especially the databases.

I have called the Apple store and they say no, they don't sell it. Yet I've seen Windows updaters for the program.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back