Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Clario MSSQL driver

Status
Not open for further replies.

matthew230

IS-IT--Management
Oct 9, 2009
GB
Hi,

Can anyone help me understand the driver clarion is choosing to operate a MS SQL Server backend with.

I'm not a clarion developer, I deal more with the database, however we have quite a few S1000 errors and want to incorporate MARS. But, I think that the app is using the old driver, rather than SQL Native Client. I've tried renaming the old SQLSVR32.dll and the app stops working, however no difference with the SQLNCLI.dll

Clarion 7.2 (i think, definitely 7.something, i can check if it is important.)

Any ideas greatly received.

Matt

Hi Matt,

The Native Driver of MSSQL is a variant of the ODBC driver customized for the SQL Server. Using the ODBC driver instead and explicitly asking the Driver=SQL Native Client ensures that the Native Client is being used. Check for the correct connection string for the native client.

Regards

Hi ShankarJ,

I was hoping you would pick this up. They have managed to work out how to alter the Provider in the connection string. Can't seem to get it to work with the OLE DB driver (SQLNCLI), gives me a IM002 error, which would indicate that there is no driver installed. However, I know this to be incorrect since I have other applications and have specifically machine tested.

Therefore, does Clarion not support OLE DB, or do I need something I haven't got?

Thanks for your help so far.

Matt

Hi Matt,

Sorry for the delay but been out of the country for a few days.

The way to use OLE DB is to use the ADO driver in Clarion. Unluckily, the templates for the ADO driver are limited in functionality.

Is this an existing application OR are you starting a new one? B'coz converting an existing application using the MSSQL/ODBC driver to an ADO driver would be as good as redeveloping the application.

Regards

Hi ShankarJ

Thanks for the info, at least now I don't have to go looking for a solution to the OLE DB problem. ODBC is fine, it is just handy not to have to bother with DSN entries.

Thank you for your time, and no need to apologise for any delays! Free advice is still free no matter how long it takes !

Matt

Hi Matt,

You do not need DSN entries for ODBC i.e. you can always use the DSN-less format. The simplest way of creating a DSN-less connection string for any driver is to ::
1) create a FILE DSN for the driver and save it
2) open the FILE DSN in an editor and replace all the line breaks by a semi-colon (;).

Example
-------
[ODBC]
DRIVER=SQL Native Client
UID=FBCUser
LANGUAGE=us_english
DATABASE=FBC
WSID=HPDV81090SJ
APP=Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
SERVER=HPDV81090SJ\SQLExpress

becomes

DRIVER=SQL Native Client;UID=FBCUser;LANGUAGE=us_english;DATABASE=FBC;WSID=HPDV81090SJ;APP=Microsoft® Windows® Operating System;SERVER=HPDV81090SJ\SQLExpress

Regards

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back