Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Clarification sought on Runtimes 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

MikeRussell

Programmer
Apr 22, 2001
AU
Can anyone tell me exactly what is meant by “Royalty-free runtimes”. I am currently on V8 Professional and want to know if I need to upgrade to the Developers version. I want to design a report and save it, but not with the data, so that when my users run the report it queries the database again and presents the output. Is this what is meant by “Royalty-free runtimes”? Sorry to ask the question but the Crystal site doesn’t explain it in simple enough language for me.

You have 2 choices that are free.

1) You can use the compile feature (see the FAQ) which gives them something like a viewer that they can run from a shortcut. Not perfect, but handy. No programming required, but no modifications.

2) You can incorporate Crystal into a VB program and use one of 4 integration methods to launch the report.

You only need to pay royalties if you are using report creation APIs that allow the user to create or modify a report, but running a report is free from an app.

There are different licensing issues for report output distributed TO the end user or if the reports are run from a web page using a Crystal web server.
Ken Hamady, On-site/Phone Crystal Reports Training/Consulting
Quick Reference Guide to using Crystal in VB

Thank Ken,

I am trying the first choice, compiled reports, at the moment and have downloaded the Report Compiler. Running the compiled report now gives me the following error 'Print Engine Error - Invalid File Name' I will do some investigation of this, but in the mean time if it means anything to you I would be greatful for advise.

I have run the Setup.exe on a new machine and am attempting to run the compiled report from there.

Cheers
Mike

Ken,
I have just found my problem, I had compiled to a new directory and therefor the .rpt file was not in the same place as the .exe. My next problem is how to automate the output, database login etc.

Cheers
Mike.

You can't automate compiled reports. There is no command line interface or programatic control for the EXE. If you want to do automation you will need to program an application. Ken Hamady, On-site/Phone Crystal Reports Training/Consulting
Quick Reference Guide to using Crystal in VB

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back