Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Clarification on retention policies 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

pd77

Technical User
May 17, 2007
GB
Hi All:

We are using legato networker server 7.1.2 and we maintain retention policy for all the clients as 3 weeks. Now i have requirement to just take a backup of one client in a seperate tape and we need to keep the tape seperately for 6 years. Is it possible to change just one tape retention policy as 6 years. Can anybody please let me know the procedure for it.

Thanks in Advance,
Pd77.

Hi,

you have a couple of different options to achieve this. If you are going to do this regular you might want to create another client resource with the long retention. (Be careful though as the index save set will always be 6 years. This was changed in a newer version, maybe 7.3?)

If you are only doing this once, you can change the retention on the client resource for only this backup, mount an empty tape from the right pool and backup. Set the retention back.

Or, you could clone an existing save set to another tape. For the clone pool you can set a longer retention than the original, or you can change it with nsrmm command.

Or, you use an already existing backup and change the retention to 6 years with nsrmm command.

Thanks for the prompt answer Rif123.....
We are planning to take this backup only once and after the backup, we are going to decommision this client.

I have one more query now... we are planning to upgrade our networker server to the latest version in a few months.
Can i recover these data using the latest version...?

Thanks,
Pd77.

Hi,

just to start with correcting myself. The index will get the longest retention from the backup server and nothing else. I confused myself :)

You should have no problem with restoring data from a tape written with a previous version. So you should be just fine with upgrading your version.

Cheers

Thanks you very much Rif123. Thanks for your valuable tips....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back