Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Citrix vs. Virtual Environment

Status
Not open for further replies.

misbrandy

MIS
Jun 12, 2007
US
Probably a dumb question for most of you.

We are running many of our applications thru Citrix. All of our remote users use these applications only via citrix. I have considered Citrix to be a virtual environment.

But now I have been asked to research whether our applications (that now run in Citrix) will work in true virtual configurations. I've been told Citrix is not a virtual environment, it is just, to be VERY short, an application painter.

Not sure if I've made any sense, but if so, can someone please explain the difference between Citrix and a virtual environment? And what are these virtual environments called? Thank you!

misbrandy,
Citrix is an application that enhances Microsoft's multi-user environment (Terminal Server) and is not what I would consider a virtual environment.
A multi-user environment allows multiple users to connect to a Terminal Server (TS) and allows them to run in their own protected session. If this session starts having issues, you can simply disconnect it or reset it and it will not cause any side affects to other sessions on the server.
The reason why I would not consider this a Virtualized environment is because all of the applications that are being launched within this session are actually installed on the server. This includes registry files, dll's, ocx's and executable files. You would not be able to run Office 97, 2003 or 2k5 on one server due to this issue.
Now....Citrix does provide an AIE (application isolation environment) with the Enterprise or Platinum editions that you could use to accomplish this. Microsoft's softgrid is also another application that you can use to virtualize applications onto Terminal Servers.

To me Citrix and TS are access gateways to applications but that doesn't mean that they are actually virtualizing those applicaitons.

Hope that helps.

Misbrandy

As enigma99 has said Citrix uses Microsoft Terminal services to share applications with multiple users.

I can only assume that investigating whether they will work in a virtual environment means they want your to investigate a virtual desktop environment.

This means that through the use of server hardware virtualization you create many Windows XP, Vista or even Linux Workstations. The users connect to those workstations and work. The difference being that the workstations are not multiuser environments. One user works only on a workstation.

Citrix XenDesktop is a great starting point, but VMWare also have a similar product.

Another alternative is to look at Application Streaming. In this method you packages your applications and then run them in isolation bubbles. This is what is referred to as application virtualization.

Might help explain more.

Colin

Your Life & Tech

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back