Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Citrix v Other Remote Connectivity Solutions

Status
Not open for further replies.

biaya

Technical User
Nov 14, 2002
GB
Hi
Wonder if anyone can help. We have a Citrix Server which runs on a shares ISDN line, and we have one remote office who connect through their ADSL line. They have recently had their ADSL line upgraded, but they are still complaining of severe slowness when using Citrix (although the upgrade has helped them internally). Now I only know the real basics of Citrix and do not profess to understand the half of it, and therefore I've now been asked to prepare a document which does a comparison of the remote connectivity solutions. Can anyone help me by (a) advising on the speed problem and (b) advising whether Citrix is in fact the best solution.
Thanks.

For running applications remotely, there really isn't any serious competition to MetaFrame.

If your end-users are having issues with speed over an ADSL connection, then there's something wrong with the overall setup. I used to connect via a 56k modem, and it runs just fine. I've even tried it over a 9.6k GSM connection and it's not too bad, considering.

ICA uses 20k bandwidth, so a 512k ADSL line should be no issue.

Try things like reducing audio quality, adjusting colour depths available and so on. There are quite a few things which are well documented in the MetaFrame Admin guide and Advanced Concepts document in Citrix's KB which could help.

Hope this helps CitrixEngineer@yahoo.co.uk

We have 2 remote offices, one in Chicago, other in Boston. We're in L.A. After serious troubleshooting from our vendor, the issue turns out to be line latency. Pings to Chicago average 90ms, to Boston 120ms. Although our throughput is superb, this latency causes all kinds of problems when typing in Outlook and using Excel. I seriously suggest you look into this if you haven't already.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back