Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Citrix Solution : How is it working??

Status
Not open for further replies.

EMESES

Programmer
Apr 16, 2005
MA
Hi all,

I've been asked to allow some users access to our network (Folders/Files/Outlook/prinetrs...), kind of terminal sessions but from outside the company (cyber/home/aboard).
I read once that citrix gives this ability, but I have no idea where to start.
All I know is that citrix client must be installed on the computers where these sessions will be opened.
Should I install something on my servers??
What about my firewall and router? Do I have to open some specific ports??
What about the security issue??
.......??

Any help is too much appreciated.
Moony.

A client is needed:
Web Interface and Citrix Access Gateway configured with PS4 is what were currently beta'ing for a release in the coming months. Works really good. See more info here:

I suggest contacting Citrix themselves (or your own Citrix engineer) to further discuss how to do this.

Many thanks cbrune17 for your prompt reply, but actually it's still not clear, can I get some step-by-step manual or something? Coz I need to set up this solution myself.

Thanks again.
Moony

Its difficult to explain that directly. Its quite an intense process. We're currently working on our own solution for 200 user liscences, and like I said, beta testing it right now. Really, your best bet would be contacting a Citrix engineer, as youd have to anyways later on for pricing on access gateways and web interfaces and what have you.

Ok, thank you, I'll go to their website to see what they're offering.
I just want to understand one thing : I'll need to have both hardware and software, right???

Thanks again.
Moony.

-----------------------------------
Some people make your world great just by being in it
-----------------------------------

You will have to install Citrix over a Terminal Server, then the outsider users will need client software installed on their computers so that they can access the Citrix Server. When you install and configure Citrix, you will be instructed as to opening pinholes through firewalls and routers to allow access.

If this is all very new, I would suggest that you hire a consultant to walk you through the initial phases and have one on-call for emergencies. As someone mentioned, it's an intense and sometimes complicated scenario, and (like marriage) not to be taken on lightly.

One other solution, rather then a web access point, which might be more expensive then your looking for, would simply to have VPN accounts for certain users to get them onto your network. VPN is secure enough for traffic over the internet, and once connected, these users could hit the citrix farm with locally isntalled ICA clients.

Do you currently have a Citrix farm installed? From the sounds of your initial thought process, simply givng users VPN account may actually serve your purpose, if you don't intend to publish any applications for them. When they VPN into the company, they would have access to the networks and any servers located on those networks.

First, many thanks guys for your precious replies.

Actually, I had problems contacting people here in morocco, I did contact a company for this matter, but instead of giving me counsel, they're asking what products I need and what versions.

I need a solution for 10 users (extended) and could run on a "W2K Server" server, What should I ask for??

Many thanks in advance
Moony

-------------------------------
Geat Starts Make Great Finishes
-------------------------------

The newest version is Presentation Server 4.0. It can be fairly costly to implement because you have to have the following:

- 2000 or 2003 Server with TS (so you pay for the server AND TS cals)
- Citrix software and cals - not cheap by any means.

Is there a specific reason you are looking at implementing Citrix over using just plain TS? Do you have a budget?

Better install citrix PS4 the latest. You will need (for "minimum"):

W2K or W2K3 server - 1
Citrix secure access gateway - 1
Citrix server - 1
Citrix license - 10 (Choose enterprise edition)You do not need microsoft terminal server license as it is included with citrix license. You have to pay subscription advantage every year.
Have disk mirrored on ALL servers.

Install citrix for minimum security as below:
internet -> firewall -> CSG -> firewall -> Citrix server+W2K DNS server.

You can buy citrix license from other country by credit card if you can't buy there but I suggest you call citrix guy to install if you have no experience yet.

hope it is helpful.

Sorry, I mean you will need 3 servers MINIMUM to run PS4 and that's not even highavailability !

A single server will be sufficient. Citrix Server is installed as an add-on or overlay to the Terminal Server within your Windows Server.

Are you currently using encrypted link to your network now ? If you don't use CSG or citrix SSL/VPN box, everyone can see your traffic and whatever you typed in ! There's new thing from Citrix below:

Citrix Access Essentials is the latest addition to the Citrix Access platform. It is a derivative of the Presentation Server that is tailored for the small and mid-sized business market.
Key Benefits:
· Only $249 per user with Subscription advantage
· remote access for up to 75 users
· Microsoft Terminal Server CALs are included
· running on a Windows Server 2003 platform

I suggest you better call Citrix consultant.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back