Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Citrix Server Maintenance

Status
Not open for further replies.

clytwyn

IS-IT--Management
Jun 4, 2002
CA
In the back of my mind I'm always worried about my citrix servers and what users are doing. I have citrix setup to use published applications and through group policies I've set it up so they can't see the c drive and have restricted access to it. The users don't have any admin rights of course. But when working in word they could still save a file to their my documents or desktop on their citrix session. Or if they use our email application and open a file in the email client it will create a temp file, or if they get a link in an email and open it up those cookies are on the server and everything else that's cached. Does anyone have a good idea of how to automatically setup something to clean this stuff up. I thought about trying to set up disk clean up to run through scheduler but I don't know if it will work. Presently I manually go in clean the temp files, cache, cookies and search for .doc, .xls, .ppt files and manually move them into users home directories on our file servers. Also do all you citrix administrators let your users open up an htlm link through an email message? Or do you get them to copy and past the link into their local web browser. Thanks in advance for the help.

Hi,

Are you using Roaming Profiles? If so, add those directories in the users profile to the "Exclude these directories" using either your Citrix GPO or create one using gpedit.msc which is the local computer policy.

Cheers,
Carl.

Not sure I follow you. If I put the users on roaming profiles I can actually create a new gpo and exclude whatever directories I want? Can I not just use that GPO without roaming profiles.

Any idea on how to clear cookies on a regular basis?

Clytwyn,
OGI has part of the solution. In the GPO you can state what folders get uploaded with the roaming profile. for example, I have cookies, recent files, temporary internet files configured so they won't upload with the roaming profile. It simply deletes all these files when the user is logging off. You can also configure Office to default "file location" to the end-users home directory. That way they will automatically save any open files to the home directory instead of the desktop or c drive. This will help out because you can customize the install and force the application to automatically open in a specific folder. You can go out and get the ORK tools from microsoft or you can buy the Office 2k3 or XP book and it will come with it.

If you are running Windows 2k server, you can go out and get the UPHClean utility. This will clean up any roaming profiles that are not being unloaded properly.

Anyways, hope that helps!

The ork tools will help you customize the installation of Office. Whoever logs into that server will get the customized installation.
So if you have multiple servers that are load-balanced, you will have to uninstall the default installation and reinstall it with the new .mst file.

if you can't find the ORK Tools on the web, just buy the 2000 book and it will come with the cd.
Sorry I can't provide a link 4 u.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back