Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Citrix registry question

Status
Not open for further replies.

cl8855

Programmer
Nov 28, 2000
US
OK, I am new to citrix, and our wonderful sys admins are not very helpful in passing along information, so that's why I come here.

Our application has a function where it reads a particular .ini file (if it exists) and writes it out to the registry so the list of functions will then be available to all users. But as you may have guessed, this doesn't seem to work on the citrix environment.

So I have deduced that the registry is actually not shared in this setup? Each user has their own copy of a "registry" or at least some of the keys?

Is that correct? Is there any way to "share" a registry among all users?

Cl8855, each user loads their own version of the HKey_Current_Users registry hive when they logon. If you are using an INI file in order to "populate" the registry, this INI file should reside in the \WINNT directory on the Citrix server. The first time a user will access the app, the INI file will be copied to their profile\windows directory, so they are using their own INI file. Like I said if the INI file is loading entries into the registry it would probably have to be done in the HKCU hive.

We are talking about HKLM entries. If I log on to the citrix server as an admin and look at the registry the entries are there, but not all users "see" them.

As for having the .ini file in a /winnt location, that is not possible as it is an application based function where it must be in a certain directory to load.

You may need to set the permissions on that particular key to allow the users read access at least, as well as the system (application)

Dave

No rest for the Wicked.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back