Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Citrix Printing - Auto Create Printers not working

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mac2118

MIS
Apr 11, 2007
US
I've been having a problem with Citrix auto creating printers for the past two days. I have roughly 40 users logging in through Citrix to access a few programs. The main one I'm concerned with is cView. I have 2 users that when they go to print a report through citrix, no printers are shown. The print menu is all grayed out with the exception of horizontal or vertical printing. If I have them log directly into the server everything works perfectly.

I installed the newest patches from Microsoft last Friday. everything seemed to work fine. On Monday I was informed that the users were experiencing this problem. I checked the services and saw that Citrix Print Manager was not started. The logon for Ctx_SMAuser was incorrect, so I had to reset it's password and correct the logon information. Printing returned to normal for all but the 2 users on the system.

I applied Citrix's HotFix 4 last night in hopes to remedy this problem also. I also recreated the users profiles on the server. So far, none of my ideas have worked.

I am at a total loss here. Can anyone help me with this issue?

I have found that if the Citrix Print Manager service is set to use the Ctx_SMA user there are problems. We set it to use the Local System account and all our printers do map accross using the UPD.

You could also use Filemon and Regmon to monitor what happens when the user logs in to see if there are any Access Denied's on files or registry.

Have you ran into any problems using a Local system acount instead of Ctx_SMA?

I found the problem that I experienced is that the drivers being mapped from the 3 computers experiencing this were not being created properly. I had to publish "Notepad" on Citrix and access that through Citrix, re-add the printers, and we haven't experienced the problem since.

i have had the Ctx_SMA error a few times since though when restarting the servers from Big Bill's updates

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back