Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Citrix Printer Mapping - MetaFrame XP FR3

Status
Not open for further replies.

IoN6

MIS
Dec 18, 2001
US
I have a major problem... And it is one word, PRINTERS!

We are currently in the process of upgrading our Citrix environment from MetaFram 1.8 to MetaFrame XP. In 1.8 we had tons of printing problems, with the main one being Citrix / NT4.0 didn't always have the printer driver on the ICA side to install the driver. Over time we got most of the drivers installed or just changed the client side to a HPLJ 5 or the like. But when a user would buy a new printer we would have the problem all over.

Now, on MetaFrame XP we are seeing the same trend. I've been using the Driver Mapping option in Citrix to make it use a certain driver in Citrix, but this is a VERY manual process as I have to find out what driver the client is using then add it to the Driver Mapping in Citrix.

My question is there a way to redirect ALL client printers to one driver no matter what client driver they are using? I have searched high and low with no luck so far.

Thank you in advance for any help or ideas!

John-

You can us the Universal driver that comes with Metaframe XP, if you configure it correctly, you shouldn't have problem like that

Fred

You have only one life, enjoy it !!!

There are a variety of third party vendors out there that offer that functionality. I believe the best to be a product from RES PowerFuse. Of course, it is expensive but offers a management framework for your entire Windows environment. I think there may be a product called "Screwdriver" that essentially creates a universal driver, but the name of the company escapes me.

Jon

Go to Doug Brown and crew have revamped their website and it is top notch. I recommend looking at their site and reading some of the documentation. Advanced Printing Management is an updated version of Project Compatability.

Other products:
Uniprint
Appsense
Thinprint

Good Luck,
Steve

Thank You,
Steve

We have the same issues with printers!!!

What we have planned is to disable the Auto Created Printers, create groups and assign users to the groups.
The groups are assigned to printers.

When the user logs in, it should map the user to the printer and then download the correct driver from the Print Server.

Nice in theory, eh? If someone has done this and works, can you tell me. Not implemented it yet here...

Don't stop at XP, go up to Citrix Presentation Server 3. It fixed some issue that XP has.

Don't stop at MPS 3.0, go up to MPS 4.0. It fixes some issues that 3.0 has. P-)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back