Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Citrix PNAgent and SSO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Geates

Programmer
Aug 25, 2009
US
We have roughly 1000 installation of the PNAgent v9 - v11 on WinXP machines. About half of these installations are "Type 2" (Logon Method = "prompt"). I have written a script that changes the Logon Method to "sson" which enables pass-through authentication. This works great with Type 1 installations (Logon Method = "sson" or "prompt")

Unfortunately, Type 2 installation are claiming the "the logon method is incapable with the server" (despite setting the ServerURL to our internal server).

Type 2 installations seem to be stubborn as a re-image of the pc is required to eradicate them.

Has anyone else encountered a situation where the Citrix PNAgent is stubborn about changing Logon Methods? What was the res?

-Geates

>++++++++++[<++++++++>-]<+++.>>++++++++++[<+++++++++++>-]<+.>>++++++++++[<+++++++++++>-]<+++++++.>>++++++++++[<+++++++++++>-]<++.>>++++++++++[<+++>-]<++.>>++++++++++[<+++++++++++>-]<+++++++++.>>++++++++++[<++++++++++>-]<+++++.>>++++++++++[<+++++++++++>-]<++++++.>>++++++++++[<++++++++++>-]<++++.>>++++++++++[<+++++++++++>-]<+.>>++++++++++[<++++++++++

Yes, I had the same issue.. but I used TS servers.

In that case I had to delete "bad" profiles from ts, and copy a "good" version as default. and then goes well.

I assume responsibility for everythin' :)

Thanks for your input. We don't use TS and the profiles in our Citrix farm are removed weekly to maintain server performance. I'm convinced there is another reg key somewhere that defines a problematic configuration.

-Geates

I think I've got the answer.

First off, this seems to apply only to Citrix (XenApps) v11+ as earlier versions do not have the component responsible for this issue. Secondly, this "answer" isn't really an answer more than an FYI based on my observations in my environment. It is NOT necessarily universal.

The service ssonsrv.exe must be running for Citrix to use pass-through. The error you get if this service is not running is misleading.

"The logon method is incompatible with [red]this[/red] server. Your logon method has been changed to 'prompt user'."

The misleading word is highlighted in red. This error is not coming from the Citrix server; it is coming from the local machine!

I compared the process list from a working machine and a non working machine and noticed an extra process on the working machine. Namely, ssonsvr.exe. As stated above, the service must be running for [local] Citrix to use pass-through.

Additional reading on several forums lead me to focus on the pnsson.dll file. I believe this is the file that is responsible for launching ssonsvr.exe. One might think .dll corruption could be to blame although, know good pnsson.dll produce the same results.

Overall, pass-though authentication will not work if the ssonsvr.exe service isn't running. If it's not running, it's probably because pnsson.dll failed to register during logon. Which, in turn, could be the fault of winprocess.exe.

-Geates

"I hope I can feel and see the change - stop the bleed inside a feel again. Cut the chain of lies you've been feeding my veins; I've got nothing to say to you!"
-Infected Mushroom

It's amazing how writing a reply makes one reconsidersearch keywords for troubleshooting methods.

-Geates

"I hope I can feel and see the change - stop the bleed inside a feel again. Cut the chain of lies you've been feeding my veins; I've got nothing to say to you!"
-Infected Mushroom

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back