Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Citrix on 1 server- possible for small user base? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

eastbr

IS-IT--Management
Jan 15, 2002
US
Can anyone tell me if it is possible to run Citrix on 1 server for about 15-20 users. Any issues or gotcha's I should know about?

Thanks,
Brent

Bandwidth is the key here and how robust the actual server will be. We typically run about 12-15 users on a single server (Dell PowerEdge 2600) with no complaints. We use SBC/Yahoo DSL for our connections at a 1.5/1.5 rate.

15 - 20 users per processor depending on the app. Each user will require 15-25K per connection bandwidth.

Question is what happens if the server dies.

[blue] Oh you know, just doing what I do.[/blue]

Cheers
Scott

We also have a backup server ready to fire up if the primary goes down.

Absolutley lb63640, totally agree, but then why a backup and not just another server in the farm, let it take some of the sdtrain.

Cheers
Scott

I don't pretend to understand the logic behind it, or the licensing scheme--I just work here. : )

The story (from those higher up the pecking order) was that we only had purchased 10 Citrix licenses, and those are loaded on the primary server. We also loaded them on the backup server (when we were using it as a test playground), but were told by Citrix support that the backup server could only be "in production" if the primary went down--so we actually have two separate single server farms.

BTW, We are running MetaFrame XPs. You've been my mentor in so many other areas since I've been thrown into this wacky WAN world, I certainly won't be offended if you stick the dunce cap on me and point me to a more reasonable solution!

lb63640,

Take the dunce cap off and get out of the corner immediately!

No such thing as a stupid question, if they were stupid, we wouldn't ask them.

Citrix can be used on a single server, am sure many of us have test or development environments which run a single server. Single server implies access datastore to me, too, so its easier to set up than an SQL based datastore too.

The key issue when considering this for a production environment is that of performance and reliability. With one server, when the cleaner accidentally unplugs the server to plug in the vacuum, its all over bar the Spanish inquisition afterwards! Even one additional server will mena you can probably sleep better at night.

When I build new farms, i normally work out what the expected user load will be, and then allow 20% extra on top of that, for scheduled maintenance, hardware crashes, increased useage, that sort of thing. All you do by having a single server is make any scheduled maintenance or unexpected crashes a show stopper. If you've got a second server, i'd certainly consider having that running and share the load, rather than just sitting there doing nothing. If you're worried about licencing, then you can always limit the loading per server anyway.

For me personally though, its simply a case of not feeling at all comfortable with just one server running in a production environment. Hell, you've got a Microsoft OS running a Citrix application with USERS accessing the system. Surely its just a matter of time before something goes wrong??! ;)

Cheers,

Chris

We don't do dunce here [smile] unless of course one of my answers is rubbish[wink]

Seeing as you have XPs then you are quite right in having a backup server. It might be worth your while however looking at upgrading to XPa then you could have the two server scenario. It depends on how much cash you want to spend. Chris is quite right in his explanation. Users and O/s guaranteed some fun at some time or other.

Cheers
Scott

The owners are screaming about cash flow problems, etc. :( Looks like I'll have to go with the patented MacGuyver backup server solution until some money falls from heaven into the IT department.

Thanks, Scott & Chris, for the information!

PS--Scott, when have any of your answers been rubbish?! You're my hero--don't talk like that!!

[blush]

Cheers
Scott

Thanks to everyone for their input. I too am limited by budget constraints to XPs on a single Dell 2600 PowerEdge. After reading your posts it sounds like it should get the job done albeit with some caveats.

Cheers,
Brent

If you are in any way responsible for the upkeep of the Citrix system, and will get shouted at if it goes down, I would put in writing to the relevent superiors your recommendation that you upgrade to a two server farm in the interests of business continuity. at least then if it does go pear shaped you can give them something to read while you do your stuff.

Regarding your situation, I've worked on a couple of single server farms (with about a doazen users) and provided the users don't mind occasional downtime it worked ok. If the users have a tendancy to get bolshy though, its important you lay down your feelings sooner rather than later.

Oh, yes. CYA by all means!

This is the single most diplomatic way to shake your head remorsefully at your superiors and mumble, "I told you so!" when that single server takes a vacation during month end (or some other mission critical time frame).

Excellent advice from SunnyByfleet!

That is an excellent suggestion SunnyByfleet.
Assuming I can persuade management that a second server is a must, is it neccessary or advantageous that the second server be the identical hardware model of the current citrix server?

Personally I wouldn't kill yourself trying to get identical kit. I don't think there are any Citrix requirements for such a criteria, and it can be a hindrance in the long term.

From a disaster recovery point of view, if you ever have to use offsite services in an emergency, you can virtually guarantee they will have different kit from yours, even if they are contractually obliged to mimic what you have. I know this from personal experience, thankfully only in testing envrinonments.

Yes indeedy

Cheers
Scott

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back