Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Citrix Licensing

Status
Not open for further replies.

myssi3

IS-IT--Management
Apr 30, 2003
US
Help -
My boss and I are at each other's throats. One of us believes licensing works one way and the other thinks it works another way....

Can someone - one of you gurus, please explain this licensing to me -- all forms - product, connection....

Thanks -

Much apprecitated

[thumbsup2]

i have a similar question... can you please explain the licensing for Metaframe XP?

Thanks

Citrix XP uses a pooled concurrent license system.
Sample: You buy Citrix XPa Starter system with 20 users.
You install it on "server1", creating citrix farm "farm1"
Every user that starts a session, takes a license from the pool. So in this case 20 is the maximum for this server.
The 21st user cannot get in (unless you buy extra connection packs)
Let's say you need more server power.
Just install the same cdrom on "server2", and make it "join" "farm1".
The 20 licenses are then pooled over the farm (in this case 2 servers)
You can add as much servers as you like. (of course using 20 servers is a bit overkill for 20 users)
The only glith, is that if you create a different farm, then you need to install a complete new setup.
You cannot pool licenses over multiple farms.

Microsoft Terminal Service licenses on the other hand, are normal named licenses.

Free citrixprinting support

Here is our scenario -

One server(XPa) in a single Farm (of course) in one domain.
Pretty simple, actually.

Citrix sitting on Win2K Advanced Server. The attached application is on another server, using SQL.

All connecting clients' OS is Win2K.

So, out of the box XP - 20 connection lic?
How about product lic? One lic = One Farm or One lic/server?

>So, out of the box XP - 20 connection lic?
How about product lic? One lic = One Farm or One lic/server?<

You have a so called 20 user starter pack.
You have a poduct license for 1 farm, maximum 20 CONCURRENT users, and as much servers as you would like.
Since the clients are win2k pro, no TS cals are required, but a TS license service HAS to be setup and activated (free of charge) within 90 day's of using terminal services.

Free citrixprinting support

You are the best!! thanks -- Victory is mine!!

My boss kept telling me that every time we setup a new server (citrix), we would need another lic. I kept telling him that 1 Lic = 1 Farm but he pointed and said &quot;You are wrong!&quot; It will be nice to turn the tables

Thanks again!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back