Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Citrix ICA client Hangs with Intel 2915 card and Wireless LAN

Status
Not open for further replies.

DrGreen26

MIS
Feb 23, 2000
US
I have a large distribution warehouse which has about a million square feet of floor space and has a new Cisco 1242 wireless infrastructure in place. The rf environment has good coverage from front to back and has no co-channel interference and operates witha 5.5 to 54 megabit data rate.

Problem: When the citrix ICA client is loaded on an windows xp tablet type pc, the client will intermittently hang / crash requiring that the wireless card be powered off then on, or a complete reboot of the system.

The windows xp os is patched up to date and the latest intel client driver 11.1.1 has been installed. We have tried several things to get this to work properly and it appears that for no reason whatsoever the client will hang, even in an area with strong signal strength etc.

The latest ICA client is version 10 if I am not mistaken, and the cisco ap's are configure for LEAP authentication with a dynamic wep key etc.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Mark

Mark C. Greenwood, CNE, CCNA, BICSI II

With more than 16 years experience to share.

I should mention as well that when we use a cisco 350 wireless card, this problem does not occur.

Have you adjusted the "power management" settings on the Intel wireless card? I presume the tablet PCs are not plugged in to a power cable when the problem occurs. See if the problem occurs when the tablet has a power cable connected. I had a problem with Intel cards and Trapeze access points where the AP would not recognize power management frames from the Intel card. So, the Intel card would go to sleep but the AP would still send frames to the client. An upgrade from Trapeze ultimately fixed the problem. Before the AP fix I could workaround the problem by changing the power management setting on the Intel wireless card to max performance. That way the card would not go to sleep, even when it was on battery. Since the wireless card does not turn off and save battery, your tablet battery may drain faster.

The clients are all hard wired to the Hilo battery which operates for about 18+ hours before it is changed or re-chrged. So by default we have the CAM mode set. The problem is definitely client related as we did an upgrade to 11.1.1 and for the most part things are much better except a deauth when the client roams so Intel is now involved to remedy the problem...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back