Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Citrix freezes 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

kevint21

Programmer
Apr 25, 2001
GB
We have 20 odd users on our Network who access a Citrix farm which sits outside our LAN. Ping times across the Lan to the Datacentre where the farm sits are fine. But users get citrix freezes on their pcs. Has anyone seen anything similar to this before? Is it a network problem with my LAN or is it the Citrix servers sitting on the outside LAN. The other users who sit on our LAN and dont use Citrix have no network issues with their applications. Do the Citrix servers need tweaked. I have used sniffer software and it looks like the Citrix port this company is using is 2598 but i reckon it should be 1494.

kevint21,
It sounds like you might have some latency issues on the WAN side instead of the LAN side.

The port 2598 is used by Citrix when Session Reliability is enabled on the farm. 1494 will not be used unless you turn off Session Reliability. I don't think that is the issue with the "freeze" problems.

I would look into these things:
1. Analyze the WAN traffic from your office to the Citrix servers. Users always seem to download very large files from the internet, listen to music from a network share or copy large files across the WAN which causes the link to become saturated.
2. Look and see if you can prioritize the protocols on your WAN link. There are appliances out there that will allow you to give more priority to the ICA protocol than lets say HTTP traffic or FTP traffic.
3. Try to launch the application from network on which the Citrix server sits on. If you can get a workstation on the same LAN as the Citrix servers and launch the app to rule out the Citrix server...that will be great. That way you aren't haven't to make any kind of config changes to the server when they aren't necessary.

Hope that helps.

This is a good answer. I think i'll try step 3 if this company will give me permission. The problem might be the MPLS link that goes from our network across to their network. Because we are saying our network is fine and they are saying their citrix farm is fine. A consultant told me to try Session Reliability but i think your right about it - that it might not make any difference.

Thanks anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back