Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Citrix client windows locks with mcafee anti-virus

Status
Not open for further replies.

Serge928

Technical User
Jan 10, 2003
LU
On a workstation installed with mcafee 4.51 anti-virus, every time we login or run explorer the windows locks up for up to minutes.

The solution so far is to disable anti-virus while using Citrix ICA client or set ICA client file security to No access.

Has anyone got an idea?

[shocked]

I have not used McAfee in ages, but I seem to remember a setting they had called "Scan network drives", or the like. This cause all sorts of delays, similar to the one you are mentioning. Try making sure only local drive scanning is enabled.

Thanks for the advice but 'Scan Network drives' option is not selected.

[medal]

This is an interesting one

Macafee leaves a footprint on every session when users log on to the server, even if it's via a published application, if you have up to the maximum number of connections per server, you'll have that many instances of Macafee running as well.

apparently the only solution recommended by CITRIX is TREND anti virus due to the way it scans (I think it just monitors changes in files)

We had the problem you mention with McAfee 4.5.0 (plus latest service packs). We fixed it by changing to Sophos on our client machines instead :) (after lots of non-support from our McAfee supplier)
However, I've not noticed the same problem with McAfee 4.5.1 SP1 ...
I tried all kinds of things with v4.5.0, disabling this and that, excluding areas of the C drive, even whole drives, and nothing made a really significant difference (when compared with nothing, or Sophos).
I've heard good things about Trend too, apart from it's price tag, which is apparently rather high.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back