Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Citrix & Remote Offices Constant Speed Problems 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

ckaye

Technical User
Apr 2, 2003
US
I've been looking all over for an answer to this problem. We installed Metaframe XP on a beefy new server in our office. We have remote offices in Chicago & Boston, both with T1 lines and no servers. We have T1 line as well. All three offices use identically configured Checkpoint VPN firewall software on Nokia 330 boxes with maximum memory.

My question/problem:

Our remote offices complain constantly that programs like Outlook, Word, etc. will intermittently become fast then slow, sometimes to the point that they are unusable. We don't have this problem in our local office obviously, and when people work from home, albeit usually not during peak business hours, the system flies.

Our tech guys have tried several different ideas; we turned off all encryption thru our VPN tunnels and just used the Citrix encryption, in case the double-encryption was causing the problem. Very little benefit. We've analyzed the bandwidth thru the firewall in both directions, and the Citrix data averages about 15 - 25 KB constant thruput, maxing out at 80KB very occasionally. We have a total of 30 remote users; both remote offices are experiencing similar speed issues.

So the question is, what could be causing this? Our computer guys are going thru it methodically, but unfortunately the CEO is in a remote office, and he could care less about methodology, he just wants results, and to a certain degree I understand. They're thinking about implementing a QOS solution, Floodgate for Checkpoint, in case users in our office are hogging bandwidth with file sharing, mp3's, etc.

I'm thinking that a T1 from each office should be sufficient, and I know our hardware is sufficient. Any ideas? One guy I talked to is adamant that we use published desktops instead of published apps; from everything I see, that would make no difference. He also said that LAN traffic in the local office could be causing packet loss from the remote office. But my connection from home would suffer as well in that case.

I've looked all over the Internet, thru all the forums & Citrix sites, and I'm still stumped. Any kind soul who read this whole thing have any suggestions? They'd really be appreciated. Thanks.

Are you sure it is a bandwidth issue? Have you checked the server at the time the users complain of slowness? Is the cpu being maxed out? Some older "DOS like" programs do not run well in NT/2K and hog the cpu. Also, database intensive apps. can do this too. Maybe the slowness is due to a certain app. being run. Have someone call you when they experience the slow down and check the server.

It could be as simple as moving the offending app. to its own server.

JON

No, after looking thru our bandwidth tests for our offices, it does NOT appear to be a bandwidth issue, especially considering that those who connect from home have no problems. The CPU is never maxxed out, it's a dual Xeon 2.8; I check it frequently. I've also tried tracking the slowdown to a particular app; no luck. Just using Office XP (not Access though), MAS200, and Lotus 123, that's it. I'm still puzzled...

This may be a remote site LAN problem. Are your remote users using thin clients? If remote users are moving large amounts of data around on their LAN with fat clients (and maxing out local bandwidth in the process) then this will detrimentally affect ICA traffic regardless of the size of the WAN link. It would be worth checking remote LAN utilization to see if this is causing your problem.

Hope this helps. Would be interested to find out what the solution is.

Good luck

I don't believe it's a remote LAN problem, because all of the data they use is on our server for them to access thru Citrix.

Look at the following things:

How much local printing is done? Are you restricting the bandwidth for printing? If not, consider using perhaps a third party tool such as Tricerat's "Screwdriver" - it is the best I know not only because it compresses the print stream by 50%-60% and caches local printouts (re-prints are done locally from cache) but also because you don't have to worry about maintaining the printer drivers across the farm.

Some Office Apps like Access are peaking the CPU for a short time...

Are you using SSL encryption? There are some issues with firewalls and ecryption. We are using Checpoint on Solaris and had issues as well...

Regards,

Joerg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back