Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Citrix access -- what needed???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rosee

IS-IT--Management
Dec 12, 2001
US
Our company is using Citrix Metaframe XPa advenced server. Currently, most of our users are using modem dial-up connection from their home computers. But some of our users who are using DSL at home would also like to have the remote access.

What should I do? Do I need to upgrade our Citrix server so that people who are using DSL can make the connection through DSL? What level of the Citrix would have that function? Is it hard to set up? If the server upgraded to the level for web access, will users who are using modem dial-up be able to connect?

You won't have to do anything different in order for the DSL users to connect.

I don't have a proven answer for web access, as we don't use that feature here, but I would assume that dial-up users should still be able to connect.

How to make DSL users to connect? Do they need to load Citrix client32 on their home computers? Which type of connection do they have to select? Our regular modem users are using "Dial-up Networking (PPP/RAS)".

Any ideas on how to set up DSL users to connect from home?

Monkeym is correct. Your users need the client installed on their home computers. We use the Program Neighborhood and provide the IP address for our Citrix server. The client software communicates the connection request to the server, and life is good.

Thanks. I have downloaded the Citrix client as Monkeym suggested. How to set up? Our Citrix server is an internal system with internal IP address. We don't have web server. Do I have to register our Citrix server and get web IP? How to do that?

You are going to have to have a permanent IP address assigned to you by your internet provider. This is called a "static IP address."

You will have to open ports 3389 and 1494 in your firewall for external users to connect to your Citrix server with the client software.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back