Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Citel MCK PBX Gateway with multiple stations

Status
Not open for further replies.

wuzhounet

Technical User
Apr 8, 2014
US
I have a 24 port Citel MCK PBX Gateway and a 24 Port Remote unit that is working just fine off of a MICS. I need to add more stations on the remote side at another location. I am not able to figure out how to add a second PBX Gateway on the LOCAL or SWITCH side that will accommodate more remote stations. Does anyone have experience with these units or know of any paid support I can use. The company for some strange reason refuses to provide any paid support on any of their older units. I currently have the one 24 port Gateway set up with a public static IP then port forwarded to 2698 and then to the internal static IP 192.198.1.111. I have their Admin and install manual but it does not say how to add a second Gateway on the same system.

Best to post the mode of devices you are using as Citel makes several.

=----(((((((((()----=
curlycord

small-logo-sig.png

Toronto Canada

We never have any problems. Are you trying to get help on a refurb product as I know they won't support that market. You have to go back to the place you buy it for help. Does the place you bought not have the info? I can try to help but....

Thanks MCKHelper. The private person we bought it from upgraded their system an no longer needs them. They do not have the information we need to add a second PBX Gateway to the same MICs system. The confusing part is if the first Gateway is using 2698 and is Port Forwarded how can we add the second switch unit so there will be a total of 48 ports available for remote use? It seems that there would be some sort of conflict getting both units to use port 2698 and they each having their own separate internal static IPs.

Thanks for any help you gave give me I am sure it must be something simple since setting up the LOCAL and REMOTE was easy using the Set Up Wizard.

Let premise this with saying I've never installed an MCK gateway.

But, you should be able to use the same port on both devices, just use different IP addresses.

MCK 1 Local: 192.168.1.2:2698 <WAN> MCK 1 Remote 192.168.2.2:2698
MCK 2 Local: 192.168.1.3:2698 <WAN> MCK 2 Remote 192.168.2.3:2698

Or they are on the same network
MCK 1 Local: 192.168.1.2:2698 <LAN> MCK 1 Remote 192.168.1.4:2698
MCK 2 Local: 192.168.1.3:2698 <LAN> MCK 2 Remote 192.168.1.5:2698

Multiple devices use the same port number all the time. Example port 80 (http) is used by all computers to access internet pages. The port # (Layer 4) in an IP packet is the application number of the program running on a device. The IP address (Layer 3) is the devise location on the network.

This basic network architecture of the TCP/IP packet stack and how it knows how route what data to which device.

Layer 1 physical connection to the network
Layer 2 MAC address (device name)
Layer 3 IP address (location on the network)
Layer 4 Tranport (transport type UDP and TCP are the most common and use ports like 21 FTP, 22 SSH, 23 telnet, 25 SMTP, 53 DNS, 80 HTTP, 110 POP3, 143 IMAP, 443 HTTPS. Or in the case of the MCK most probably using UDP port 2698 which is unassigned to a common protocol.

Just make sure the port is open in the routers.

Marv ccna
telemarvlogosmall.gif

Sales, Installation & Service for Norstar, BCM, Samsung & Allworx Serving Ottawa and Eastern Ontario since 1990

Hi, we are doing the same thing, with multiple gateways at the main site, what did you find with the port forwarding? My thought would be user id's setup for each port on the MCK's. Also using the advice allworxguy said. Did you get it working and what did you do? Thanks wuzhounet.

Hi allworxguy, well here is an update. I had to wait until the customer was done with a project before I could continue the installation. Itsmyjob did you get yours to work I am still having a problem.

So we added a 24 port MCK PBXGateway along with the existing 8 port Gateway ( which is wokring ). So here is how it is set up so far for the two offices:

Both Gateway 1 and 2 are using the same Notel MICS with 48 ports at the same office:

GATEWAY-1 ( 8 PORTS )
Internal customer IP address 10.0.1.111
MCK User ID's 101 thru 108

REMOTE-1 ( 8 PORTS )
Programmed to send to public IP address xx.xx.xx.xx
MCK User ID's 101-108

Everything with this above is working

PROBLEM:

GATEWAY-2 24 PORT
Internal Customer IP address 10.0.1.112
User ID's 201 thru 224

REMOTE-2 ( 24 PORTS )
Programmed to conatct public IP address xx.xx.xx.xx ( same one )

The customer has port forwarding as follows:

Router port forwarded 10.0.1.111 to port 2698.

As you suggested that I can in fact port forward use multiple devices and IP's to the same port I asked the customer to add an additional port forward for Gateway-2 as follows:

Router port forward 10.0.1.112 to port 2698.

The customer told me that his router I think he is using a MAC will not allow multiple internal IPs to be forwarded to the same port number 2698.

I tried this on my D-Link and had no trouble. Any suggestions?

Thanks

Hi wuzhounet, Should be implementing sometime this week, what you have outlined above is what I believe is the proper way to get this done and is the way I was going to attack this. I'll post the results. If you get your setup working first, please post them. Thanks!

Yes thanks! I have scoured the internet and I can find only the install manual for a single SWITCH and REMOTE but nothing that described how to set up a larger network.

the big issue seems to be that the customer insists that his router will not allow more than one IP address to be forwarded to port 2698 yet I was able to do this with my D-Link I just don't have any MCK modules to test it with just the customers and they are on site. I will post my progress.

Hi ItsMyJob any luck?

Here is my plan for testing this weekend. I am going to disconnect the internet modem connection from the customers switch and router then connect the internet modem directly to my D-Link Router. I will set up two IP addresses 10.0.1.111 and 10.0.1.112 for both gateways and port forward both to port 2698. I will then see if I can get the SWITCHES 1 & 2 to connect to both of these gateways using USER ID's 101-108 and 201-208. I will let you know what my results are. I checked out the MCK Citel Forum on this site but there is nothing available to help our situations. If we find a soloution that works I think that it would be a good idea to leave a details FAQ on that forum for anyone else looking for support.

IP address to be forwarded to port 2698"

Normally the other way around, forward ports to internal IP address.
or
Forward Public IP to Internal IP. <----- this would allow to use the same port number.

I wish you answered my first question above, are you not able to share the model number?

=----(((((((((()----=
curlycord

small-logo-sig.png

Toronto Canada

Well here are my results. I set up a Linksys Router and tried to program it as follows:

Port 2698 Forward to 10.0.1.111
Port 2698 Forward 10 10.0.1.112

Just like my customers router I got the same error that I had a port number conflict and can not forward the same port number to two different internal IP addresses.

I found these two manuals online one for the Gateway and one for the Branch Office Extender 6000. I am using one PBX Gateway II and two Branch Office Extenders 6000. I dug through them both but I can't seem to locate how to set up multiple REMOTE extenders to a single system or through the router. I did read where they reference multiple REMOTE units directed to a single Gateway ( so there's hope yet ) but then only say that your Network Administrator must provide you with different IP addresses.

I am wondering if getting separate Public Static IP addresses from the phone company would work then port forward them within the router. It seems like the MCK REMOTE unit must be sending port 2698 automatically, I wonder if that can be changed to lets say I can use a different TCP/UDP port number? I read about a security camera set up where they used port 80 and then for each camera they added a camera number like 8001, 8002, 8003 so the IP address is like 25.235.683.125:8002. Any ideas anyone?

MCK PBX GATEWAY II:

MCK BRANCH EXTENDER 6000

Found a less painfull one here:

You cannot forward a port to 2 different items, thats not what Allworxguy said....he said Open them not Forward them.

I think 2 Public IPs and just point the Public IP's to the Internal IPs might would work.

Quote:
My thought would be user id's setup for each port on the MCK's. Also using the advice allworxguy said

Both are on the right track it appears
You should really be speaking with your IT company, nothing Norstar related on this topic and all about Networking.

Not sure if posting in the MCK forum might help, or the Network forum.

The product indeed is not supported but Citel may help you with paid support or answer simply.

Anyway good luck to both of you, I am interested to see what happens.

=----(((((((((()----=
curlycord

small-logo-sig.png

Toronto Canada

It looks like the MCK unit is sending port 2698 along with the transmission to the Gateway. This type of equipment is foreign to IT people so they are not able to help I have already tried.

I am considering setting up separate internet connections for each REMOTE on the SWITCH side. This of course WILL work because there will be a separate internet modem with separate public IP address and a separate router.

The other option is to just consider that the Nortel systems are obsolete and to move into a less complicated network environment like the IP Office then we don;t have to deal with this MCK stuff all together. One less part to worry about anyway.

The MCK Forum has very little activity or archives to work with there is more history on this Forum.

ItsMayJob have you come up with anything yet?

Here is a suggestion that I was asked to try. Have the Telco add one more pubic static IP to the same internet modem, then port forward that second static IP to the second internal IP address which is connected to the second Gateway. On the second Remote unit program in the second public IP address.

I would search for a new IT company or like I said post in our network forums.
This is ALL about networking, plain and simple.
They dont care if your are pushing pizza through a coke straw on 2698, they just need to sort out how to get it to its destination.

You can have 2 IPs to one modem then have each router assigned to each IP.

=----(((((((((()----=
curlycord

small-logo-sig.png

Toronto Canada

GREAT NEWS!!!

I was able to find someone who knew how to solve this issue of multiple Gateways on the same system.

I also picked up some additional Citel / MCK units on eBay for a REAL bargain AND with a warranty. I really would suggest to check out eBay because you not only get these units for a super cheap price but you have the warranty from the seller and on top of that you have the eBay Buyer Protection Plan AND the PayPal Buyer Protection Plan. I can buy several units for what I would have paid for them new and that allows me to have in house spares! The eBay units I bought are working just fine I do suggest that you put them on a UPS back up system like an APC 500 or 650 for protection. eBay IS the best way to go.

Thanks for your help everyone!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back