Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

CISSP Study Regimens

Status
Not open for further replies.

jbaugh

IS-IT--Management
May 7, 2001
US
The CEO of Tek-Tips kindly agreed to post this new forum yesterday for those of us who are pursuing the CISSP certification. I am planning on taking the exam on May 18th and am pursuing primarily a self-study regimen. The books I am using are Endorf's book on the CISSP, Krutz and Vines "The CISSP Prep Guide" and when I really want to dig deep into an unfamiliar area, I turn to Shon Harris' "CISSP Certification All-in-One Exam Guide". My past experience has helped me in most of the domains, although legal and cryptography issues are taking the most of my study time right now.

I am signed up for a Common Body of Knowledge review next week, which will end the day before the test, so time is running out. I don't know for sure what the review will be based on, as far as courseware, as I have never taken a class from this particular vendor. I have heard that most review classes are based on the Krutz book. It is better than Endorf's book, IMHO, because he badly needed a good editor. His writing style is cumbersome at best and he gives short shrift to most topics. As an overview, it is great, once you get by the grammatical errors, but as an in-depth knowledge source, it is kind of pathetic. There are incorrect answers to some of his practice questions, but I figure if I can spot those, I am on track to succeed. By test day, I will have been preparing for about six weeks, roughly one hour/day. Will it be enough, I'll find out when the results come in.

Good Luck to all,

Joe

I wish you the best- you are correct, when you start catching the errors then you have a pretty good handle on it.

Let us know what happens

MikeS
Find me at
"The trouble with giving up civil rights is that you never get them back"

I sat the CISSP exam last Saturday, May 18th, in Phoenix Arizona. There were about 30 candidates in the room, I finished in 2 hours 20 minutes and think I did fairly well.
However, it was a very grueling experience and now I have to wait for two to three weeks to get my results. Imagine, if you will, the sound of the Jeopardy theme song tolling endlessly in the background and you will grasp how I feel about the scoring delay. (I much prefer the instant gratification or dismay of a Computer-Based Test to waiting so long, but such is life.)

Good luck to all in their endeavors,

Joe Joseph B. Baugh PMP, CCSE, CUE, CCNP, CCDA
Network Services Manager, Sierra Southwest Cooperative Services, Inc.

Well, I got the news via email. I passed the exam and am now entitled to use the designation of CISSP. No clue as to actual score, it just said that I met the scoring requirements of the Consortium. That is much less satisfying than knowing my exact score, but what the heck, a Pass is a Pass. I am pumped and relieved over passing. The rest of the day is shot now, so I might as well go have a few cold pints.

Good luck to all,

Joe Joseph B. Baugh PMP, CISSP, CCSE, CUE, CCNP, CCDA
Network Services Manager, Sierra Southwest Cooperative

CONGRATS! I'm just starting to look into becoming CISSP certified. May give it a shot after I wrap up my CCNP

Good morning,

You mentioned that you were signed up for a Common Body of Knowledge review. Where did you find a review? That would be great.

Thanks-

mcsefinally,

The one I went to was offered by Vigilar in Phoenix the week before the exam. There are several vendors who offer the same type of review, Verisign is probably the most prominent. Look at their website for more info on schedules, etc.

Good Luck,

Joe
Joseph B. Baugh, PMP, CISSP, CBM, CCNP, CCDP, CCSE, CUE

"The road goes on forever and the party never ends." -- Joe Ely: Love And Danger, 1993

May I know usually how long after the exam will ISC2 send the result to the candidate? I took the exam one month ago and still not getting result.

I got my notification in 5 days, while one of my partners didn't get the news for almost three weeks. We sat the exam the same day at the same place, so I am not sure why the difference in notification times for us. If I were you, I'd drop a line to ISC^2 and ask them where your results are, as I have not heard of anyone else taking a month to get the news.

Good Luck,

Joe Joseph B. Baugh, PMP, CISSP, CBM, CCNP, CCDP, CCSE, CUE

"The road goes on forever and the party never ends." -- Joe Ely: Love And Danger, 1993

Hi Joe,

I went through your posts and found them very informative. I'm a MCSE and CCNA, working for the US Base. I intend to study for CISSP and attend for the exam. Well as these posts are a couple of years old, could you give me a better understanding about the curriculum. I've bought Shon Harris, All in one for CISSP. Is this enough, or is there any other book I should refer.

I highly appreciate all your advice, and efforts to share your valuable knowledge with us.

Regards,
-Maverick

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back