Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cisco2600 Router, Central and Remote Routers? DHCP?

Status
Not open for further replies.

pdecker

Technical User
Jun 16, 2003
US
Here is my situation:

I have three routers, one central and two for two seperate networks. The central router is the WAN connection with a seperate server (WIN2k). It then distributes to the other two routers, which control the DHCP to their respective network (each network also has a WIN2k server).

The difficulty I am experiencing is mostly due to my inexperience with programming this routers. The two main questions I have right now are:

1) Can I do DHCP for each of the two seperate routers so that they can handle the IPs on their respective networks?

2) How do I configure DNS in this situation? Should the two seperate routers by given the same DNS as the central?

The routers all have static IPs (meaning the two seperate routers do not get their IPs from dhcpl, I just want the computers that connect to the two seperate networks to work off DHCP).

Thank you for any help (the routers are all 2621xm)

"
1) Can I do DHCP for each of the two seperate routers so that they can handle the IPs on their respective networks?
"
YES, i use routers as dhcp servers for a couple of our RO's, here is a config snippet:

ip dhcp excluded-address 10.23.1.1
!
ip dhcp pool gconnectpool
network 10.23.0.0 255.255.0.0
default-router 10.23.1.1
domain-name XXXXXXX.net
dns-server 10.17.2.1 10.20.2.1
lease infinite

"2) How do I configure DNS in this situation? Should the two seperate routers by given the same DNS as the central?"

No, you can give each router it's proper hostname record. if you don't you may be sorry later.
considering that you only have 1 dns server located at the Central Office, i would

define a global zone, i.e. - XXXXXXX.com

define a reverse zone for each subnet

10.17.in-addr.arpa
10.20.in-addr.arpa
10.23.in-addr.arpa

and create the appropriate host records

"The routers all have static IPs (meaning the two seperate routers do not get their IPs from dhcpl, I just want the computers that connect to the two seperate networks to work off DHCP). "

should be no big deal, i just finished designing the dns-dhcp infrastructure for my company

we have about 10 sites
i use sub-domains for 8 that have dns-dhcp servers and the other 2 are flat design as i have demonstrative above.

DHCP is easy to do with a Cisco box as you can see from the previous thread. But since you do not have much experience with the Cisco boxes there is an easier way.

Configure a central DHCP server at your central site that has address pools for all the client networks.

On the lan interface of each remote router enter a statement that forwards udp (dhcp) packets to the dhcp server. The statement looks like this, it should be under the lan interface of each Cisco

ip helper-address "dhcp server address"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back