Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cisco Wic-1-ADSL cards limited to 320kbps 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

snedie

Technical User
Dec 30, 2008
GB
Hey guys, I have owned my cisco LAB for almost a year now and used it to complete my CCNA. I started CCNP a while ago and upgraded some of my equipment (better memory/flash IOS etc) and I also bought some Wic-1-ADSL cards just so I could play around and actually route the internet through my LAB's (kinda nerdy I know).

But I seem to have a slight problem, the ADSL cards (I have 2) seem to be limited too 320Kbps. It is not my phone line as my normal netgear router has no issues what so ever and I can get anywhere betwwen 8 and 10Mbps. I read around on some forums and some people said that cisco WIC ADSL cards are rather sensitive and require high quality phone lines. Is this true and could this be the source even though my normal router works OK?

Here is my config (some areas appended):

hostname Karoo
!
enable secret 5 $1$m6XC$itlKWluve5lsL8ucT4efm1
enable password 7 094F471A1A0A
!
username ...... privilege 15 password 7 ......
memory-size iomem 15
ip subnet-zero
!
!
!
ip dhcp pool Lab
network 192.168.0.0 255.255.255.0
default-router 192.168.0.214
dns-server 212.50.160.100
!
ip audit notify log
ip audit po max-events 100
!
!
!
!
!
interface ATM0
no ip address
no ip mroute-cache
no atm ilmi-keepalive
pvc 1/50
encapsulation aal5mux ppp dialer
dialer pool-member 1
!
dsl operating-mode auto
no fair-queue
hold-queue 224 in
!
interface FastEthernet0
ip address 192.168.0.214 255.255.255.0
ip nat inside
speed auto
!
interface Dialer0
ip address negotiated
ip access-group inbound-packet-catcher in
ip access-group outbound-packet-watch out
ip nat outside
encapsulation ppp
dialer pool 1
dialer-group 1
ppp authentication chap callin
ppp chap hostname ......
ppp chap password 7 ......
!
ip nat inside source list 1 interface Dialer0 overload
ip classless
ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 Dialer0
ip http server
ip http authentication local
!
!
ip access-list extended inbound-packet-catcher
deny ip 10.0.0.0 0.255.255.255 any
deny ip 172.16.0.0 0.15.255.255 any
deny ip 192.168.0.0 0.0.255.255 any
deny ip 224.0.0.0 7.255.255.255 any
deny ip 255.0.0.0 0.255.255.255 any
deny ip 0.0.0.0 255.255.255.255 any
deny ip 127.0.0.0 0.255.255.255 any
deny ip host 0.0.0.0 any
evaluate tcp-reflexive-temporary-list
evaluate udp-reflexive-temporary-list
!
ip access-list extended outbound-packet-watch
permit tcp any any reflect tcp-reflexive-temporary-list
permit udp any any reflect udp-reflexive-temporary-list
!
access-list 1 permit 192.168.0.0 0.0.0.255
dialer-list 1 protocol ip permit
!
banner login C
*ALL UNAUTHORISED ACCESS IS PROHIBITED AND RECORDED.*
*ALL VIOLATIONS WILL BE DEALT WITH BY THE FULL FORCE*
*OF THE LAW. KOBALT GAMING LTD. *
C
!
line con 0
login local
line aux 0
line vty 0 4
login local
line vty 5 15
login local
!
end

Any ideas greatly appreciated.

What indication do you have that it gets 320Kbps? What is it supposed to be getting?

Burt

Hello
Can you post a "show dsl interface atm0" to see how the WIC is traing with the DSLAM.
Regards

I am guessing the user has a 3Mb, lives a bit away from the C.O., and gets 2.5Mbps, which makes 320KBps normal. Bytes and bits...

Burt

I think the question is what limits the WIC-1ADSL might have (ADSL vs ADSL2/2+). I have interest in the answer since I'm considering purchasing one for a 2651 instead of using the AT&T supplied modem.

I had an 831 working fine on the Motorola modem until both were recently replaced by an 877. (Thanks to Burt and Uncle Rico!)

Hi and thanks for all the supplies.

In response to Minue:
I can't get onto my cisco equipment untill around 8pm GMT, or at least with the adsl plugged into it as my family is using the internet at this moment in time.

In response to burtsbees:
The indication that I am getting 320Kbps is that is what I can download at and also what the router registers.

Here is the output from a netgear router:
DownStream Connection Speed 8191 kbps
UpStream Connection Speed 1023 kbps
VPI 1
VCI 50

As you can see ny line speed is in fact 8.1Mbps. The line protocol is ADSL2+ Over PPPOA.

Again thanks for the replies

The indication that I am getting 320Kbps is that is what I can download at and also what the router registers."

And it says Kb and not KB???

Burt

I think you are getting a bit confused over terminology and what can be expected - plus you may be seeing some performance differences between the Netgear and Cisco routers.

I have a Cisco 877 and the output to the command 'show dsl interface atm 0' produces the following output:
Code:
cisco-877#sho dsl interface aTM 0
ATM0
Alcatel 20190 chipset information
                ATU-R (DS)                      ATU-C (US)
Modem Status:    Showtime (DMTDSL_SHOWTIME)
DSL Mode:        ITU G.992.1 (G.DMT) Annex A
ITU STD NUM:     0x01                            0x1
Vendor ID:       'STMI'                          'TSTC'
Vendor Specific: 0x0000                          0x0000
Vendor Country:  0x0F                            0xB5
Chip ID:         C196 (0)
DFE BOM:         DFE3.0 Annex A (1)
Capacity Used:   99%                             50%
Noise Margin:     4.5 dB                         24.0 dB
Output Power:    18.5 dBm                        12.5 dBm
Attenuation:     36.5 dB                         16.5 dB
FEC ES Errors:    0                               0
ES Errors:       1009                            29
SES Errors:       0                               0
LOSES Errors:     0                               0
UES Errors:       0                               0
Defect Status:   None                            None
Last Fail Code:  None
Watchdog Counter: 0x3E
Watchdog Resets: 0
Selftest Result: 0x00
Subfunction:     0x00
Interrupts:      8333 (0 spurious)
PHY Access Err:  0
Activations:     3
LED Status:      ON
LED On Time:     100
LED Off Time:    100
Init FW:         init_AMR-4.0.015.bin
Operation FW:    AMR-4.0.015.bin
FW Source:       external
FW Version:      4.0.15

Interleave             Fast    Interleave              Fast
Speed (kbps):          7744                0           448                 0
Cells:            521659002                0      29012461                 0
indicating I have a downstream speed of 7744Kbps and an upstream one of 448Kbps. Remember this is KiloBITS per second and not KiloBYTES. In theory I should be able to download at 7744Kbps (which is 968KBps - divide by 8), however this is never actually possible due to the IP protocol overhead and other factors such as the topology and utilisation of links on the Internet between me and the server I am downloading from.
There are various speed testers available on the internet but I quite like this one: With my connection I generally see between 4Mpbs & 7Mbps download speeds and 250Kbps - 370Kbps upload.

HTH

Andy

320Kbps, where as through my netgear router I get a tad over 8000Kbps.

It is definatley not a problem with the routers (i think) as when I route (NAT) from my netgear through the routers & switches I can achieve the same normal 8meg ADSL.

I have 3 down, get 2.5, 320KBps down, 2620XM with a WIC-1ADSL.

Burt

What kind of Cisco router are you using? There are a LOT of Cisco routers that would not have the throughput of the Netgear.

Another consideration is what is running on the Cisco router. I'm not good at all with config evaluation, but a firewall can really bog down throughput.

Also, have you tried using one of the Cisco router's ethernet ports into the DSL modem rather than using the WIC-1ADSL? I recall reading that the WIC-1ADSL does not support ADSL2/2+.

To verify your speed, it might be beneficial to provide results from using a couple of different web hosts.

Righty lets clarify some points.

1)I am a 4th year cisco student so i think I know the differance between speeds (hence why i posted all speed in Kbps). I am not having a go here guys btw, just want to make things simpler :)
2)Yes I have tried using the Fa port<-->Netgear Router and they worked fine.
3)I have 4 differant models of routers and access to around 25+ IOS's, I get the same problem on them all. Which indicated that the problem is not with the routers.
4)Cisco Wic-1-ADSL cards do support ADSL2/2+ as long as an up-to-date IOS is used.

And last but not least
5)Sorry if I sound like an ass.

I will post some outputs from the cisco routers tommorow for you all to examine, mabey I am missing something.

Also, I read that there was a batch of dodgy adsl cards produced that have a particular serial number, I have 2 cards with this serial. But what are the chances of getting two duff cards right?

Have you tried to play with the MTU size??

I hate all Uppercase... I don't want my groups to seem angry at me all the time! =)
- ColdFlame (vbscript forum)

Hello
Your ADSL card is training at 8000Kbps it's strange that you are only getting 320Kbps.How are you testing the link?
Regards

In response too unclerico:

I did try to alter the MTU size on the cisco router but the connection fell over. I thought it rather strange and tried it on the netgear and it the connection fell over again. After calling my ISP, I found out that the DSLAM's are set to auto-negotiate the MTU depending on line charateristics and it cannot be set on the customer premises (with exception to business lines).

In response to Minue:
The wic-1-adsl card does not acknowledge that the line is 8000Kbps, but 320Kbps.
To test the link I used and also by downloading files from Microsoft's website and also from some of my ISP's servers. I get the same results accross the board.

For adsl, you should do this...

router(config-if)#ip tcp adjust-mss 1452

on the dialer interface. Also, remove the acl's from the interface and probably should have the ipcp config lines on the dialer.

Burt

Hey burtsbees thanks for the info.

As soon as I get back from a new years party ill give it a shot.

I'll post back the results

As soon as you get back, or like the next day? Or Friday?lol

Burt

Hi Snedie
I made a mistake, I thought was that "ADB100" post was your's with the show dsl interface ATM0 out.
In anyway can you please post a show dsl interface ATM0.

Regards

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back