Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cisco vs. 3com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Warbird

Technical User
Jan 16, 2003
US
Hey everyone,

I am currently designing a LAN for a company I just started with and need some advice. I am looking at putting in a 10/100 24 port switch with 3 10/100 24 port hubs hanging off of it to connect about 50 users and a couple network printers. We will also have internet connectivity (T1 or so) running in also. What brands should I be looking at?

So far I have looked at the Cisco 2924M XL switch and the Cisco Hub 400's. I have also been looking at 3Com's Superstack 3 3300 switch and possible 3 3com 10/100 switches to hang off of it. Any recommendations?

Thanks in advance,

-Bryan

The Cisco 2900xl series of switch is a robust workgroup switch. I support many of them in my current job. It runs IOS and is pretty easy to configure. In terms of support, I think it is blatantly obvious that Cisco would provide the better support level, I think 3Com is out of business soon.

Personally I would use the Cisco switch, for the hub just get a cheap crappy one - a hub is a piece of crap anyway so why bother with a branded one?

Thanks for your response! I wanted to stay with the same brand name throughout. It just seems easier to get support and so forth if you have all the same vendor. I do see what you mean about the hubs though. I wouldn't mind just getting some Netgear hubs since they are made by Bay Networks.
Cisco is one of the only switches that does the VLAN stuff right?

-Bryan

No 3com switches does VLAN's to and they are less expensive then cisco's, but I will still go for cisco switches.

Errrr... thats not exactly true UInix.. the 3900s *do* vlans just fine.. aside from the useless interface to set them up. I have over 30 VLANs running right now on a combo of 6509s, 4000s and 3900s as the edge devices.

Right now the supply of 3900s seemed to have dried up except for used ones.

Mike S
"Diplomacy; the art of saying 'nice doggie' till you can find a rock" Wynn Catlin

Have you looked at the Nortel Accelar or Baystack 450Ts?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back