Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cisco VPN not working

Status
Not open for further replies.

jgodfrey71

IS-IT--Management
Feb 4, 2004
GB
We have about 40 people using VPN software to access our network through our Cisco Pix 515 firewall, but just one person cannot get their connection to work. The person in question has quite a unique setup at home, in that she has several computers all linked up to the Internet at once, I think because her husband may run a business from home.

Their ISP is Easynet and the line connects into a Lucent callpipe 1-port router, then a Netgear MR314 4-port wireless router. She is running Windows 2000 Professional SP3 on her PC.

When she connects via the Cisco VPN client (rel 4.0.4) it seems to connect (i.e. yellow padlock closes) and when she does an ipconfig she has been allocated an IP address and the correct DNS servers as normal.
The problem is that despite this she still can't ping any of our servers by name or IP address as it just times out. If she tries to map a drive to our network the Lucent router crashes and needs to be rebooted in order to get the Internet connection back. Similarly, when I tried to ping the IP address that she'd been allocated her router crashed again and had to be rebooted.

Does anyone have any suggestions for some tweaks she could make to her PC or VPN client to get round this issue ? She managed to get it working perfectly ok when we had a Watchguard firewall and Watchguard VPN client, so obviously the thing is workable, but at present she seems to have hit a brick wall.

Is she using any other connections IE a wireless if so have her disable all other connections for testing as they might mess up the routing on a windows box.

Jeff

Is the IP address you are providing her within the same range as her internal network? If so its going to cause routing problems for sure.

We had same issue here. I solved it adding isakmp nat-traversal 20 on our PIX configuration.

It seems it happened because NAPT implementation on client' side was so broken that PIX had to detect and tell vpn client to work around that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back