Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cisco VPN Client kills network on Dell Laptops 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

rasken

IS-IT--Management
Nov 1, 2001
US
Our company has been using the Cisco VPN client on about 20-30 varied W2K laptops for over a year with no problems. In the last few weeks on 2 new installs of the client, this would happen: The install would go flawlessly, system would reboot, and upon coming back up (without even running the client) the network would not send or receive. W2K would detect that there was a network connection, but no data would pass. Cisco support has no idea why (and hasnt heard of it). I was using client version 3.1.1 and after the problem occurred, I tried version 3.6.4 with the same results. If I uninstall the client and reboot, the network is fine. On a different machine that was running the old vers fine, I uninstalled and tried installing both the old and new version. Both installs had the problem, so now a laptop that did work, does not. Installing on a Compaq Desktop also running W2K works fine. Any ideas????

i was having problems with dell laptops with NT 4. The problems was that when the VPN software is installed, there is special protocal installed for the VPN. and the problem is that it would not bind to the integrated modem on the Dell laptop. Try looking in your protocals, maybe your workstation cannot reconize which protocall to use on when you hook up to network.

I tried putting in PC modem card. and had my VPN use that one. Works great.

hope this helps
let me know

Well, I made some progress. The laptops that were problems were dells with a nic in the dock and in the laptop. The same nic, so who knows, maybe that is why. Anyhow, if one nic is disabled (the one in the laptop since i'm installing the client while laptop is docked) and the client is installed, after a reboot all is well! But if i re-enable the laptop nic and reboot, same problem. Cisco has recommended driver upgrades and thats about it so far. I even got a beta copy of their client 4.0. Same problem. I'm wondering now if the problem has to do with having two of the same particular cards or if it would happen to any machine with any two cards. I will be getting a pc card nic soon, maybe ill install that and disable the internal nic in the laptop and see if that helps. BTW, thanks for the reply!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back