Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cisco VPN Client install prevents IP traffic

Status
Not open for further replies.

jatkinson

Technical User
Nov 14, 2001
GB
After installing the latest Cisco VPN client to a WXP Pro laptop I could not browse or collect my email.

After investigating further I noted that I could not ping or tracert any external IP address. I have checked via 'ipconfig /all' settings for the connections and all appears OK. I can connect to my ISP via ISDN or dial up but then cannot do anything. It is as if all TCP/IP is either being blocked or cannot go through the gateway (which is correct)

If i unistall the VPN software everything works fine again so it must be something to do with the client. Any ideas from anyone as posts elsewhere have lead to nothing.

Many thanks

I have the same problem, the cisco VPN kills my connection settings even whan I'm not running the VPN.

I believe the Cisco VPN Client automatically runs a Staeful Firewall for remote users to have some type of protection. That may be your issue.

I can't understand why the Stateful Firewall isn't causing any problems on any of the other installations then. Is there something specific that could be causing an issue within the Cisco firewall?

I'm having the same problem. How does one turn off the Statefull firewall? It is not checked but states that it is always on.

Thank you,

Pete

We've been running into similar problems. We have some Dell D600 laptops with Intel 2200BG wireless adapters built in and, as long as the VPN client and the wireless adapter driver were both installed and active, we had network connectivity loss about every 15 minutes.

We found that if we disabled the wireless adapter, the problem would go away. If we uninstalled the VPN client, the problem would go away. We would have this connection drop problem even if we were not actively using the wireless adapter and were plugged in with the wired ethernet adapter.

After further exploration, we found that disabling the stateful firewall (select Options | Stateful Firewall from the main VPN client window) caused the problem to stop.

We also have a potential problem between the VPN client and Novell's ZENworks for Desktop client version 6.5. We have not yet tested the stateful firewall connection issue, but will be testing this in the next couple of days.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Charlie Silverman
Sr. Systems Administrator
Globalstar, LLC

We now return you to your regularly scheduled reality.

After some experimentation, I was able to determine that the stateful firewall does in fact cause the issues we were having with the ZENworks client as well.

We are running the stateful firewall on all of our VPN installations here. It appears that the firewall works fine with 90% of the applications, but there are some applications (and drivers apparently) that will cause these symptoms.

Charlie Silverman
Sr. Systems Administrator
Globalstar, LLC

We now return you to your regularly scheduled reality.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back