Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cisco VPN client connected but no IP traffic being passed

Status
Not open for further replies.

nihe

MIS
Jan 24, 2003
US
I have a user in a hotel, his laptop has been working fine on remote connections previously, now he gets the padlock when he connects but no IP traffic is being passed. If he pings he gets "host unreachable". I'm thinking he is behind a hotel firewall (he says no) but anything else I can check to confirm? I was going to make the newest client available to him via download (internet access works fine), he's running 4.7 version so I was going to bump him to 4.8. I've also tested his connection profile on an a test box and it worked fine.

One thing I would start with is to traceroute to the device instead of pinging to see where things stop.

I've seen similar problems with clients when staying at hotels. Usually, they are behind a proxy or NAT.

Was there any resolution to this issue? I am experiencing the same thing. It doesn't appear that I have any firewalls running on my local machine. My account works fine from another machine but I can't pass any traffic after establishing my Cisco VPN connection.

Check IP addresses? Is it a broadband connection at the hotel? Maybe the DHCP server is assigning an IP that is incompatible with the VPN?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back