Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cisco VPN and Client

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phil21080

MIS
Apr 18, 2006
US
I have a 10.X.X.X network with a 255.255.0.0 subnet mask.

I go through the easy VPN Wizard, setting up an address pool similar to my own network. I have a user account on the PIX that I use to log in when the Cisco VPN Client software prompts me. I eventually want it to authenticate me by my A.D. account, however, I have a more pressing (annoying) issue.

When the VPN Client connects me, I go do a quick ipconfig and notice that the subnet mask and default gateway it hands me is only 255.0.0.0, and the default gateway is way off..

for example:

assigned IP: 10.7.7.1
subnet mask: 255.0.0.0
default gateway: 10.0.0.1

How can I configure the PIX so it gives me a 255.255.0.0 subnet mask??? If I put a class B address pool in, then it gives me a 255.255.0.0 subnet mask, but then I still can't communicate with my network.

you can create ip pool first then when you doing vpn wizard you can select this pool
ip local pool poolname startip-endip mask (mask)
for example
ip local pool mypool 10.10.0.0-10.10.1.255 mask 255.255.0.0

With VPN Clients (& Dialup?) the netmask & default gateway are pretty much irrelevant since the PC sends everything to the remote device for forwarding so there is no need for ARP etc. I seem to recall the default-gateway is usually your IP address. I have just connected a Windows Native VPN to my Cisco router and the netmask the PC thinks it has is 255.255.255.255, the gateway address was also not anything real. However the traffic is passed as expected.

Once the VPN is connected I suggest you open a command prompt and check the routing table.

HTH

Andy

Does it depend on which version of the IOS the PIX is running?

If I go to global config and type:
ip local pool VPN 10.X.X.1-10.X.X.10 mask 255.255.0.0

I get the usage output:
[no] ip local pool <ip1>[<ip2>]

it won't let me add a subnet mask.

if it doesn't matter what the ip address or subnet mask that is issued out by the PIX, what should I configure or look for in order for my network to recognize and be able to communicate with my remote machine?

As I said, once the VPN is connected open a command prompt on the PC and check the routing table and try some obvious things like ping....

Andy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back