Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cisco Voip accessing Meridian Mail thru E&M line

Status
Not open for further replies.

twmoody

Technical User
Mar 7, 2003
US
I have a few E&M ports from a Cisco router hooked to a Nortel switch. My IP phones off the Cisco router can make calls, receive calls, etc.

What I am trying to do is to get the IP phones to use the meridian mail. I am have a hard time getting the voip extension to automatically rollover to the voice mail box. The meridian mail does not know from which extension the phone is coming from so you get something like please enter your mailbox.

cisco has a feature on the router call "DTMF integration with analog voice-mail systems". I am under the impression we can use this to send the Meridian Mail what it needs. What digits do I need to send to the Meridan Mail?

thanks

you may be getting the message "meridian mail - mailbox" . this is what you hear if you dial the voicemail number directly. If you intend to send DTMF tones you would then need to send the ext that was called. you would have to do this for each ext on system.

a better way might be to build a phanton number for each ip phone forwared to voicemail and then add that phanton ext in each mailbox. then on the ip side forward no answer or hunt to this unique number and you will get the personal greeting.

the e&m trunks should send the original dialled digits to the switch - this would solve the problem also.

So if the voicemail system is 4218 and the extension of my voip phone is 4332, and if I have created a Meridan Mail box of 4332, what digits does the Meridian mail system expect to see to let a caller leave a message?

thanks

You should x-fer the call to the Ext of the Voice Mail and send following digits of the "mailbox number" for your trying to reach. So really, if you make the mailbox nnumber the same as the Ext. of the phone, then that's what you would send.

Please let us know if this works well for you... I am interested in your outcome!

Does anybody have a solution? I'm trying to do the same with an external PBX integration to share Meridian Mail mailboxes. We need to get voicemail coverage for users on the remote PBX on the Meridian Mail located on our central Option 11C. What do I need to send through the TIE trunk to the Meridian Mail to get direct mailbox answer?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back