Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cisco VLAN protocol?

Status
Not open for further replies.

hinesjrh

MIS
Jan 4, 2005
US
Does Cisco follow the IEEE VLAN standard? Are there any differences between the two?

I started just a few weeks ago at an organization that has a number of VLAN's set up in our 4006 switch, so I assume we are using Cisco's standard format for setting them up. However, my manager wants to know if we use Cisco or the IEEE format. (-:

Are you asking if the switch supports 802.1q? If so, the answer is yes. If you are litterally asking what you are running currently on your switches, then look at the interface, but I would think it's 802.1q, which is the IEEE standard if I'm not mistaken.

Sorry for the confusion. What I am attempting to figure out is if our VLAN's are set up using / following the IEEE 802.1q standard or Cisco's standard (or if there is any difference between the two).

Yes there is a difference but for your question there is not Cisco Standard.

There are only three types of VLAN protocols:

802.1O ISL (Inter-switch Link)(Ethernet)
802.1q (Supported on only Fast-ethernet & Gigethernet, not ethernet)
LANE (LAN Emulation) (used with ATM)

After more research I have determined that I need to be able to tell if the VLAN's that we have set up were set up using 802.1q trunking or Cisco Inter-Switch Link (ISL). How can I tell (these were all set up prior to my time here)?

If you have a catos box then just do a "show trunk" and it will tell you what it is using for the trunk . If a IOS box then "show interface trunk " will tell you the same thing .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back