Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

cisco vlan design, how many vlans do I need? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

fpower

MIS
Aug 12, 2003
US
I am having a problem with my cisco switches, I have 2 4006 and 1 6509. I am using 1 4006 as the core, which has a fiber connection to the other 4006, and 2 fiber connections (using etherchannel) to the 6509. I have only 1 vlan, and am running spanning tree... portfast on workstations.
I have 350 workstations spead accross the switches, all servers are uplinked to the same 4006 switch.

My problem is that some of my applications are timing out, when I ping one of the 4006 switches (which I am uplinked to) I get responces from <1ms up to <428 ms.

I would like to create multiple vlan to hopefully resolve this time out issue, but I do not know how many vlans I should create, or who, what, should be in each vlan. I am pressed for time otherwise I would just read up on this, so any advice would be a huge help.

Every broadcast generated by any workstation or server is flowing across your switch-link and clogging things up. You need to split that VLAN to reduce the broadcast domain.

Simply creating one VLAN per switch and a routed link between them would help tremendously.

Haveagoodun!
Nettekkie1010

Easiest answer

the management vlan is VLAN 1, there should be no user stations on that vlan, this is done so that your management traffic can always get through.

so put your users on another vlan, but you need to have a router or routing module available to move traffic between vlans

as each vlan is a seperate IP subnet

How many VLAN's is simple, split them up by department or division and name then accordingly but as stated above your going to need either a router or an RSM (Route Switch Module).

SpudNuts(ITC), USN(Ret), CCNA, BSCI, BCRAN, CST

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back