Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cisco versus Asterisk 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

dpu

IS-IT--Management
Jan 24, 2005
US
Hello -
We received a proposal from Cisco, Mitel and Asterisk to implement VoIP in one of our offices. We have several offices which all run on Cisco switches and routers. So naturally I prefer the Cisco solution. But when it comes down to pricing the Asterisk solution was the cheapest minus the layer 2 switch and router which we would have to buy to replace the existing 3Com switch and 1750 Cisco router. I am not familiar w/ open source software and a little wary of it. Does anyone have any insight between Cisco's VoIp solution versus Asterisk? What has your experience been.

The Mitel solutions are pieces of crap in my honest opinion. It appears that someone has molded an ethernet port into a Walmart phone. Asterisk has very limited support and you are basically stuck with a support it yourself type of deal. As far as Cisco you can't go wrong with the product or the support you will receive.

not necessary......We do both Cisco and Asterisk. Although Asterisk is not as known as Cisco, there are plenty of companies out there that can and support the Asterisk application.

Open source just means that the source code for the application is shared so that other people can do research and develop add on parts to use for it.

Cisco is more known and the name means alot and you do get good support from them. But the pricing is alot and depending on your requirements of the system, would definitely give a look at Asterisk. Ask your dealer how long they have been using Asterisk. Ask if they developed it themselves or just got it from another company and sell it. ask about the support. Those are normal questions that should be asked when purchasing any systems for the office.

Brian

To error is human.....if the machine doesnt work, then KICK IT !!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am a proponent of Open Source projects and have used Asterisk in my test lab at my house. There is no way that I would recommend that a client use an open source product for such a critical business function.

To compare apples to applies, I would perhaps look at an Avaya IP system as well.

I will admit, I am bias towards Cisco as I do work for a Cisco Gold Partner.

There is no way that I would recommend that a client use an open source product for such a critical business function.

I guess the millions of business critical Linux servers, many of which are serving web pages with Apache httpd, and/or relaying mail with Sendmail, Postifx, or qmail, are just ticking time bombs waiting to fail?

Most mission critical servers run an enterprise version of Linux that is commercially supported. In addition those applications have more support than Asterisk does. Besides most organizations running critical servers have a vast engineering staff. Lets compare apples to apples.

Eh, I think you're really overestimating the amount of resources that people invest in running Linux, and the distributions that are being run in the real world.

To get back on topic, though, there are quite a few vendors who build their own PBX on top of Asterisk, and fully support it.

brianinms
"The Mitel solutions are pieces of crap in my honest opinion. It appears that someone has molded an ethernet port into a Walmart phone"
On what experience do you state this on? Just would like to know any issues or bad experiences you've been involved in as of yet I've had no problems with Mitel kit.

As I've installed many Cisco AND Mitel systems and to be perfectly honest with YOU I would chose the Mitel system due to reliability and price!But that is possibly due to my experience alone!!!
The NEW Mitel IP phones are much better looking than the BIG cheap(yet very expensive to buy) plasticated CISCO phones.They also feel much better in quality build than the CISCO when in use.

Asterisk system is not to be sniffed at either as its very stable platform and I would also choose this before CISCO every time.
The only time I would choose CISCO would be if I had over 20,000 IP ports as the Cisco starts to come into its own then.

My opinion is based on the fact that 3 new customers had their Mitel reseller uninstall their new VOIP system and turned around and purchased a Cisco system from my employer. Perhaps it was a crappy install and it was the majority of their issues. However, the client loves the appearance of the cisco phone and the ergonomics of the handset.

jkupski,

You are right. Vendors are taking the Asterisk platform and building it out to their specificatios for an IPPBX. But they are normally built on a commercially recognized version of Linux. We have done this for the hospitality industry where cost means alot to the customers. That is why Mitel is so competitive. Right now, Cisco is not able to compete with pricing in this industry and who knows when that will be. We have given everything that our customers are looking for in a IP PBX in the Hospitality market. This includes unified voice messaging, call accounting, and voice service over the same network as their high speed internet. I like the call manager application as it is very stable, from my experience, but when it comes down to cost being the deciding factor, I will whip out a sales quote for an asterisk machine as an alternative to the Cisco price to compete with Mitel anyday

Brian

To error is human.....if the machine doesnt work, then KICK IT !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Brianinms,
You might be right with the install theory ........ ....................oh well as long as the customer thinks that the phones look good!!! What else matters eh!!

cisco unified communications manager 5.0 is also a linux server. much more stable than windows. they will be releasing 7.0 soon. which will run on both

however cisco has many solutions depending on the size of your enter prize. how many end users are there

typically if done correctly cisco has lots of redundacy built in.

cisco can do alot. I am not familar with Asterik/ mitelbut my guess is cisco has a lot more features. and better support.

the only problem i experienced with cisco phone is the users getting jerry curl juice ;) on the hand sets and the reciever clip breaking. and if the phone gets too close to a cell phone or pc speakers the cisco phone acts up. if you do have problems smart net will get you a phone.

i have a system in my house from ebay and I use it for all kinda of stuff. I love it.

Cisco is highly overpriced and the telephones look awful, Asterisk is a software application, the Digium boards are crap and the support is...hm well, open source so everyone knows best.
I'd go for Mitel, good support, reasonably priced, nice looking IP sets, very good speech quality and very reliable.

We have installed many Asterisk based systems, including ones with hundreds of users. We have installations in various industries including new car dealerships, insurance agencies, manufacturing facilities and company headquarters. I would put a properly installed/configured Asterisk system against a Mitel or Cisco installation any day especially when cost is an issue. But that being said a good percentage of our business is repairing/rescuing customers that chose incompetent Asterisk Integrators. The flexibility Asterisk gives you is unprecedented but it is also the long rope that could hang you.

I am biased towards Asterisk but if cost is no issue go with Cisco nobody ever got fired for picking Cisco and you would have to work to find an incompetent Cisco partner. Cisco usually does a pretty good job of making sure that their partners are well trained and can competently install their products. If cost is an issue just make sure you pick the right system integrator. Multiple Asterisk installations, configuration in different user environments and previous satisfied Asterisk users/customers is an important consideration in selection a vendor.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back