Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cisco T1 Simulator? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

johnnymc

Technical User
Aug 28, 2002
US
Does anyone know if there is such a thing? I want to start studing for the Cisco exams and I have access to a few routers and I would like to set up a test environment at home. I want to simulate a remote office but I dont know what to use to simulate the T1 circuit?

Cheapest and easiest way to simulate a T1 is to connect 2 routers via their serials back to back using X21 Male and Female cables.

For reference, the Cisco part numbers are: CAB-X21MT and CAB-X21FC

You don't have to buy Cisco cables (in fact I'd recommend you don't as they're quite expensive). A lot of comms cable providers will supply cheaper alternatives and should understand what you need if you quote the part numbers above.

Will this simulate a T1? I would like to set up a test environment at home so I could bring in a new router, install the WIC's and set it up and know for sure the traffic would pass over the T1. Then I could take the router into work and pop it in. If the line did not come up I would know for sure it was my carrier and not my config.

The last 3 times we opened a remote office we could not get the T1 line up and SBC always blames the router config. I have had to pay consultants hundreds of dollars to prove to SBC it was not my router. If I could simulate the T1 circuit I could easily prove to them it was not our router.

Yes it will simulate a T1 nicely. With the 2-cable approach, you still have to setup clocking, encapsulation and IP addressing exactly as with a live T1 service.

I've done this many times as a proof of concept and all the Cisco training labs simulate serial T1 connections in this manner.

If you can get ping to work across 2 routers back to back but it doesn't work in real life, the issue is with the Telco or their onsite equipment.

Thanks for the help, I really appreciate your advice.

After reading your post and researching it on the net it looks like I need one cable for each router and the cables would then plug into each other to simulate the T1. Is this right?

My last question, when I look at my new 1841 router I dont see any serial ports, (I dont have any on my 2811 either). Is there a WIC card add on you need for this cable?

You're right about the cables. Both of them terminate with what they call a DB60 connection (this goes into each router). However one of them comes with a Male connector (this is the one you'll keep and connect to the live T1 service) and the other comes with a Female connector (which naturally connects directly into the Male connector in a back to back setup)

You'll need 2 WIC-1T modules (one for each router) to make the T1 serial connection.

That answers all my questions. Thanks again!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back