Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cisco Switch Stack question

Status
Not open for further replies.

JMoore64

MIS
Nov 5, 2003
US
I have a 3750G switch that i want to add to a switch stack of exsisting 3750's. The new switch has a newer IOS then the Stack. Do i need to downgrade the new switch before i add it, or will the stack master push it's IOS and automatically downgrade the IOS for me?

Thanks

Yes i would otherwise you will get mismatch errors and the stack won't work correctly .

Although some Cisco documents imply that you can automatically push the Master IOS to member switches, I have yet to get this to work. The quickest way is to connect the member switch to the stack, copy the IOS from Master Flash to member flash:
copy flash1:c3750.bin flash2:c3750.bin

Mark is correct , that is the easiest way . I also agree the upgrade process on these is shakey at best and we have had issues doing this also.

The upgrade works fine if you pay attention to your syslog or log buffer messages as you add the new switch to the stack.

The upgrade process can be automatic, or, it may require you to manually archive the software over - your log will tell you what is happening and what needs to be done.

It's explained here:

"Managing Switch Stacks"
"Switch Stack Software Compatibility Recommendations

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back