Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cisco SOHO 97 - config

Status
Not open for further replies.

JerryBarrett

Technical User
Jan 18, 2004
GB
Hi Guys
I have a Cisco SOHO 97 router which is working fine, I dont want to touch it. However, Cisco tech help is mega expensive and I cant afford to pay for the config of another one I have to buy.

The config is not a standard IOS interface config and I paid for the original one to be setup correctly, I just don't know how to get at it. I know its possible the techies tell me its easy to do, so maybe I can learn too.

I want to download the complete config from the working Router and and change the user id and password and IP address's and upload it to the new Router.

It also provides me with a backup config if I have to install a new Router on either site for any reason

Can any one help with an idiots guide to the command line stuff.

Many Thanks
Jerry

You would have to do a running-config to show you current configuration first. How do you interface with your router?

mross71 Thanks for a reply.

There are two interfaces, a command line option through telnet and a http interface through a browser.

The http version is the std setup screen to use the Router like a SOHO router and use the 4 port switch.

The telnet version allows access to more command and the 800 series command line.

I think - I was hoping someone would tell/confirm to me this information.

Cheers
Jerry

I have an 805 which is the same as the SOHO - I go to the http setup for IOS and go to troubleshooing -> show commands -> running-config. That will give you a window that you can copy/paste your config into notepad etc. Use ctrl-C/V to copy and paste cause you cannot right click to do so. That should get you the basic info that you can paste into your new router. What model is your new router?

The new router is the same model a SOHO 97.

In theory I should be able to change the config to the new ADSL id and new IP addy and run it in the new Router.

Thats what I have been told anyway.

Thank You - I will try that.

Aha - I see, this is cool - passwords are encrypted, Arrgghhh

Oh well can do this manually.

How do you paste into the new router?

Thanks again?

Thats where it gets tougher - because you have to use the command line to do ACL's (access control lists) and NAT's if you have any. But the IOS gui that comes with the 800 series routers has a basic setup wizard that will guide you through most of the process. You would then use your running-config to configure the rest of the router after you get it online. Should work ok for you, but there is a lot of help on this forum if you need it, it just takes time. Also Cisco has all of the manuals online and the documentation is excellent - might check that out too.

You could do the following....

Current router...
copy start tftp...

Copy config to tftp server

New Router

Copy tftp start

Copy config of old router into new router.

Login to new router and reconfigure for new networksettings, isp information, and passwords.

Make sure to when you restart new router with old router config it is of of the network as it will create an ip conflict.

Easier than cut and paste

JOAMON Hi - Thanks

I'm a bit confused, is 'start tftp' in the CRWS or the telnet command line session of the Router and the 'copy config' command?

and if it is whats the command sequence for extracting the config?

and then

installing the config on the new one?

I under stand about the other one being off line so no IP conflict, I assume the console serial line is the best bet for this.

I'm sure I can change IP's in the config before uploading to the new Router and then login and setup the user id and password for the ADSL.

Sorry if I'm being thick.

Regards
Jerry

TFTP is a program needed for download and upload of IOS and config files from and to routers. Solar Winds has a good free TFTP server if you do not have one.
The command is as follows:
Router# copy start tftp
What you are telling the router to do is copy the startup config to the TFTP server.
You could then turn it around and use copy tftp start to get it into another router. Once in the other router you could then modify it to the new network settings.

Joamon Hi

Sorry I'm being really difficulat I know, I have downloaded the tftp server and apart from go back to the solarwinds site to sell more tools - I cant see what it does?

Anyway, beyond that I access the Router with Telnet and type the command you suggest and it fails

There is no copy command, I have a screen dump of the command list is there a way to get it to you?

Or am I barking up the wrong tree.

Thanks for your patient help

Jerry

In order to use it you must first start it then from file and then configure change security settings for trans and rec to permit two way communications. With server running and from router#
the command is:
copy start tftp
this will send a copy of the config to the tftp server file
you could also do copy flash tftp
this would send a copy of the current ios to the tftp server directory.

Hi

Thanks for replying again. Nope that copy command doesnt work on my Router the Cisco SOHO 97

Not from a telnet session into the router anyway. I get an invalid input detected at '^' marker - and its inder the copy command.

Sorry - any other ideas?

Jerry

OK Progress - a bit

The enablemode worked.. Cool

However, I get a timeout on opening a file on the tftp server - Arrgghh

The tftp server is running on a Win2K server, which is a web/mail/ftp server and those ports are open to the server from the outside world.

I can only assume tftp uses different ports to ftp so would need them forwarded for comms to work from the router to the tftp server.

Any thoughts on what ports I would allow through or do I have to switch off the FTP server while TFTP is working?

Many Thanks
Jerry

Can you ping from the router to the TFTP server?
Do you have any NAT translation between your router and the TFTP server?

Lambent Hi

Yes I can ping both ways. However, the server is behind a firewall, I have forwarded port 69 (seems most common tftp port) to the server running tftp

Ummm, still get the same error

Jerry

Ok, thanks

Got it now, the port was configured for port 69 but not enabled, Dooohh

Cheers Guys

Jerry - No just gotta get it back into the new router??

Is your server multihomed? Cos I found that SolarWinds TFTP server cannot select the listening interface.

Also did you open both tcp and udp 69? They are both assigned for TFTP.

I usually use tftpd32 cos so far this is the only working TFTP server for my Cisco IP phone lol. Also tftpd32 can select the listening interface.

Lambent/Guys Thanks

Yes I opened both ports, but my mistake was not enabling the port forwarding, its working now, I have a config downloaded.

Any ideas how I get into a clean Router.. I thought the console may be a good way in.

Is it the same interface as the telnet session?

I looked in the enable mode help and theres no upload command

Ummm

Thanks
Jerry

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back