Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cisco routers with T1 dsu/csu

Status
Not open for further replies.

dragonman

IS-IT--Management
May 12, 2001
TH
We frequently have small to med business ask for a router and a t1 CSU/DSU . Going to the Cisco site and trying to figure out what I want is worse than an chinese menu (in chinese)! Does anyone have a favorite combo that they use all the time? Or is there a faq etc that I might refer to?
Thanks

either a 1605 series or 2600 series with the T1-WIC which has the CSU and DSU built into the card. This way you do not have yet another box hanging by a cable on the rack. It's managable by SNMP through the router which can be handy.

You set up the interface with the required encapsulation, IP address, use service-module command to give it the channels it needs.. 1-24 for a full T1

My opinion is that if you are going to support Cisco equipment, get used to the site and learn how to use it. There is a wealth of information there to had for "free". I'm not saying it's easy to read, but it's there.

Mike S
"Diplomacy; the art of saying 'nice doggie' till you can find a rock" Wynn Catlin

Thanks that gives me a starting point!

What would you say is the basic difference between the 1605 series or 2600 series?

horsepower!! The 1600R series is for a small office.. 20-50 people assuming a full T is used.. I have run 2,000 users through a 2621 with a full T1 for web access. Your milage may vary depending on a varity of things. If you do ANY bridging, run extensive access lists and so on, you will limit the number of users you can support due to CPU loading. If you run NAT, keep in mind this can add substanially to the CPU load.

Myself, I would offer a standard package of the 2611 or 2621.. that way you know you are pretty well covered.

Mike S
"Diplomacy; the art of saying 'nice doggie' till you can find a rock" Wynn Catlin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back