Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cisco router connected on same subnet 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

5jgibbs

IS-IT--Management
Mar 8, 2005
US
I have 2 cisco routers. Router1routes my home internet connection, Router2 I have connected to one of Router1s switch ports. It's in vlan 1 and my default gateway is 192.168.1.1 (IP of VLAN1). On my second router, Router2, my fa0/0 interface has the ip of 192.168.1.200. From Router2, I can ping my default gateway and anything plugged into the 1st routers switch ports(HWIC 4ESW). But things plugged into Router2s switch ports, I cannot ping, but I can ping things local to Router2 (2 computers plugged into Router2s ports with static addresses), but nothing off Router2. Any ideas?

This is my setup for Router2

interface FastEthernet0/0
ip address 192.168.1.200 255.255.255.0
duplex auto
speed auto
!
interface FastEthernet0/1
no ip address
shutdown
duplex auto
speed auto
!
interface FastEthernet0/0/0
no ip address
!
interface FastEthernet0/0/1
no ip address
!
interface FastEthernet0/0/2
no ip address
!
interface FastEthernet0/0/3
no ip address
!
interface Vlan1
no ip address
!
ip classless
ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 192.168.1.1
no ip http server
no ip http secure-server
!
!
!
!
control-plane
!
!
line con 0
line aux 0
line vty 0 4
login
!
end

This is because router 2's fa0/0 interface is not a switch port.

In this setup router 2 is deviding your network in to two parts (as it should)

if you plug a x-over cable from one of router 2's switch ports to one of router one's switch ports you should be able to connect both segments.

What is your overall goal or are you just testing/learning? cant really figure out what you are wanting to do?

Here is a quick and dirty drawing of what I am trying to do. All traffic connected to the switchport of the 2nd switch, I want going through that switch for filter or something similar. But it needs to be on the same subnet. I am just playing / learning mostly. Trying something different.

http://www.cs.sunyit.edu/~gibbsj/cisco.png
Nice drawing, what did you use to make that?

If you want everything on the same subent then you need a switch not a router, routers are designed to segment your network and route between subnets.

It is possible to do what you want using dynamic NAT here is a link on cisco
But if i were you i would either use a switch or configure a different subnet with a different gateway address....

I used visio and Netzoom (altma technologies).

I know how to route between subnets, I just trying this as a proof of concept. I just wanted to know if it was possible, looks to be with dynamic NAT like you pointed out, but for me not worth the hassle.

Thanks for the information though!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back